Re: Slow LTE Home Internet
lmemingo
Enthusiast - Level 1

First, I will say I do like Verizon as I have been with them for a very, very long time for cellular service with very few problems.  However, they have a very long way to go before I will say the same about their Home Internet service.

After some initial problems due to a bad 1st router which required quite a number of calls to Verizon support before they would even acknowledge a problem actually existed with the equipment ... a replacement router was finally sent out which has been working very well … until recently. 

This past week, I've been having the same slow/inconsistent/unreliable speed issues everyone else is having.  My speeds have been in the below 8Mbps down to 0.01 Mbps a few nights ago - yes, that's correct, less than 1 Mbps. 

In 2 calls with support, a couple of wonderful techs tried to help to no avail (unplug/replug in – wait 2 minutes for the box to reacquire the signal, run another speed test, factory reset, etc).   In fact, the Home Internet tech told me the router periodically runs its own speed tests and his review of those test results showed very un-inspiring results and he concluded there was an issue on Verizon's end (not mine).  He said he was fully documenting my case and that when the Network Team took over my case, it would be seamless and I wouldn’t have to re-explain everything about what was done already in an attempt to resolve these issues I’ve been experiencing.

So, my case was escalated/transferred to the "Network Team", who I was told are supposed to be the "experts" at resolving speed issues .... the Tier 2 support tech with whom I spoke didn’t (wouldn’t?) read any of the notes, so I had to re-explain EVERYTHING; she really didn’t care one iota about the issues I was having. As far as I can recall, she ran NO tests from her end – the only thing she did was to check to see what speeds I was "promised" to see if what speeds I was getting were within those parameters.  Those “promised” speeds were 25-50 Mbps... and then she told me speeds of 0-25 Mbps were well withing the promised range.  Huh... WHAT?!  Seriously?!

Four (4) months ago, when I signed on initially for Verizon Home Internet, it was to replace DSL service (which was actually more reliable), I was told by Verizon Techs I was in an "excellent" coverage area (I believe 3 towers within 1 mile of my house).  Two days ago I was told by this "Network Team Tier 2 Support" Tech that I was only in a "fair" coverage area.  So – was I lied to 4 months ago when I was encouraged to sign on to Verizon’s Home Internet?  When I questioned how the coverage could have dropped so much in such a short period of time, I was told the cell tower is now probably positioned to beaming the signal in a different direction such as towards a new housing development.  Wait a minute - weren't there 3 towers within 1 mile... so all 3 have changed their signal beaming positions?

Basically Verizon's Tier 2 Support’s response yesterday morning was ... Too bad, so sad - deal with it and shut up.  There's nothing Verizon will do about the pathetic Home Internet speeds/reliability issues I’m experiencing.

I really wanted this to work... but the amount of time I have wasted in the number of calls I have had to make to Verizon for my Home Internet issues and their lack of ability (or desire) to correct those issues have lead me to believe I'll need to find a different provider for my Internet needs.