Verizon 4g LTE Broadband Router IP Forwarding
KingZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received a new Verizon 4G LTE Broadband Router with Voice last month. I am trying to connect my surveillance system to this so that I can watch the cameras from anywhere on the net. The problem is that I cannot make the IP forwarding to work. The device has a weird IP address with numbers and letters mixed. Is it not possible to do this with this broadband router? This was the only reason I bought the cellular router, just to use it for my surveillance system.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon 4g LTE Broadband Router IP Forwarding
deloused
Master - Level 3

The router does support forwarding to be able to view your security system from anywhere on the Internet. To set this up you would first need to purchase a public static IP address. The default IP addresses are private and dynamic as you're currently behind the NAT firewall with the router.

The reason you're seeing an IP address with letters and numbers is due to IPV6, and the depletion and availability of ones with just numbers.

Instead of purchasing a public static IP address you could set up a VPN as those can tunnel through the firewall both ways.

The other option would be if your security system offers transmission to a cloud based service, you could then log in to that client remotely and see your cameras since the traffic wouldn't need to pass back through the lte router.

0 Likes
KingZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

So buying a static ip will work? I will contact tomorrow about a static ip. I don't think a cloud based system is going to work for this one. I have a Defender camera system which I can even use an app on my phone to view live and even rewind back to an earlier time.

Thanks for the quick reply.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Yes, because in addition to being static the IP address would be public and routable. To use port forwarding the IP address assigned to your router would need to have access to connect to the Internet directly, be unique and publicly routable. Currently the ip addresses assigned to your devices connected to the lte router are private, only viewable by the router, which communicates using security protocol behind the network firewall to a centralized Verizon server which is assigned a public routable ip, shared by many 4g devices. Once you have a static public ip assigned to your router it will be unique and not shared by any other router so you will be able to control the traffic and settings and receive return traffic (like logging in to your camera protocols) instead of the ip of the centralized sever which is shared by multiple routers.

0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3

You can use Dynamic DNS.

0 Likes
KingZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am not using a PC. I am just using the LTE router with the security system. The system is up in the attic. No phone lines or cable in the house. This is why I chose the LTE router. I cannot use Dynamic DNS since I don't have a PC connected to it. If I had a PC everything would have been easy. I could have used noip.com<http://noip.com> but that is not the case. I will contact Verizon today to get a static ip.

0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3

You cannot see the DNS values in the Verizon router?

0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3
0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3
0 Likes
KingZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

What's seeing the DNS values gonna do? It's dynamic and going to change frequently. Even though I see the current IP address, it doesn't let incoming traffic for me to control the surveillance system.

0 Likes