Re: Verizon Internet Gateway NCQ1338 Bridge Mode
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

smkline18,

I want to make sure we figure this out. To be sure we're on the same page, the admin panel isn't on the device itself, you access it from a browser on a device you have connected to it. What happens when you try to go there?

-Andrew

0 Likes
rusty-shackleford
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can confirm that bridging is now available after the latest firmware update (220745).  It is actually working quite well.  No more double-NAT issues or other goofiness with the "DMZ" solution in earlier firmwares.  Actually getting the update applied was pretty painful.  I had to reboot the NCQ1338 cube about 10 times for the firmware to actually load and take effect.  YMMV.

Bridge Mode

Firmware Version

0 Likes
Cang_Household-w
Enthusiast - Level 3

Bridging is simply not using a router's layer 3 features. You can abandon its layer 3 features without having to enable a specific setting.

I would not recommend bridge the Verizon Gateway as it faces the Verizon network and VZ is providing firmware updates to keep your network secure. To use your own router's WiFi, simply "bridge" your router by disabling its DHCP server, set a static LAN IP address, and plug in an Ethernet cable from the LAN to LAN.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

user1million, please share with us what menu option comes up when you use the steps provided?

-Rodney

0 Likes
davidsigep
Enthusiast - Level 1

exciting. confirmed the same: now have a public IP address. 🙂

0 Likes
Max2U
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for posting this as it gives me hope. I received a NCQ1338 yesterday and no bridge mode. Firmware version is 214322 and it will not update. Says there was an error whem it tries and then asks if it should try again. After answering it yes, it says the firmware is up to date.

VERIZON SUPPORT: can you confirm that there is a new version of the firmware that addresses Bridge Mode?

0 Likes
mkronvold
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have an ask1338 that is stuck on firmware version is 214322 and it will not update, behaves identical to @Max2U .  Error when trying to update, then no updates available.

@vzw_customer_support How can we get update3 with IP Passthrough, firmware 220745?

https://www.verizon.com/support/verizon-internet-gateway-ask-ncq1338-update/ shows that update 3 includes IP Passthrough which will do for now considering the device is supported and updated by Verizon as @Cang_Household-w mentioned.

SpaceVillain
Enthusiast - Level 1

Chiming in here to say that my NCQ1338 is stuck on 214322.  I get an error first, then it says no updates are available.  Would really like this fixed and get an update on enabling the bridge feature.

rusty-shackleford
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Cang_Household-w wrote:

Bridging is simply not using a router's layer 3 features.

No.  It isn't.  You are still dealing with double-NAT at that point.  Bridging is extending the device in a layer 2 fashion to either a router or firewall.  This allows you to receive a public-routable IP on your devices(firewall or router) interface and allows you to do NAT.  The verizon router is still manageable via its public IP and allows for firmware updates.

In regard to failing firmware updates, I had to power cycle my NCQ1338 about 10 times in order to get a successful update.

Max2U
Enthusiast - Level 2

I power cycled more than 10 times as I saw your note. Also did a Factory reset. No joy.

I was on the phone with a Verizon Rep today who was quite interested in finding the answer, but internal docs apparently didn't help. She did say it might just be a matter of the update rolling out to servers slowly.

0 Likes