Re: Verizon Internet Gateway NCQ1338 Bridge Mode
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, there! We want to make sure this is resolved for you. What error are you getting?

*Breanna

0 Likes
Max2U
Enthusiast - Level 2

It just says it had "trouble" and asks if you want to try again. Then it says you are on the latest version. Looks like they all do it. Can someone there respond to this and fix it?

0 Likes
mkronvold
Enthusiast - Level 1

@vzw_customer_support 

When checking for updates the error is:

Check for new software failed.

There was a problem while checking for new software. Try again?

And upon clicking yes it returns:

Your Verizon Internet Gateway software is up to date.

Your software version is up to date.

However, the software version installed is 214322 and the current version available is 220745 which contains a critical feature.

Restarting the gateway device does not change the behavior and as you can see in this thread many people are getting the same error.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for getting back to us, I have sent you a Private Message so that we may continue. Thanks. 

-Rosie

0 Likes
Max2U
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why does it need to be private?

Is it a secret? Many of us have this problem and if you know the fix, post it here. 

makotosan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also in the same boat, I would really like to put this device into Bridge Mode, or have the option to have an IP passthrough. I already have a wifi mesh router and have that behind the gateway, I don't need two routers.  For now, what I have been able to do is to configure the NCQ1338 to have my router as the a DMZ device so that my router will receive all incoming traffic (my router already has rules and a firewall in place to allow/drop traffic), and my router allows me to disable NAT going to the NCQ1338 which avoids the double NAT issue. However, this is a less than ideal setup and I'd prefer my router to have an IP address from the WAN. 

Not sure why the firmware update on the NCQ1338 keeps failing.

0 Likes
vzw-joe
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is also happening to me! Verizon, please fix this - my gateway is stuck on software update 2. I called tech support and they confirmed my gateway needs the update but they couldn’t figure it out. They said to wait for it to update on its own at night (that was two weeks ago!)

@makotosan I’m doing the same thing, putting my ASUS router in the DMZ of the Verizon gateway. I have ipv6 passthrough working. I’ve also successfully enabled OpenVPN on my ASUS router and am able to connect to it remotely using the OpenVPN client on my iPhone. But I’d prefer proper IP Passthrough mode so the WAN IP is properly transferred to the ASUS router. Question: what setting did you change to disable NAT going to the Verizon gateway?

Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being on top of your service is vital, especially if you are having internet issues. We are here to help. Please send us a Private Note to better assist you. ~Gilbert

0 Likes
bruiser13
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why private? If you have a solution you should share it here. You'll eliminate a lot of support calls, plus it's just the logical thing to do.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is regrettable to hear about the concerns you raised with your Verizon Internet Gateway NCQ1338, makotosan. We are happy to provide helpful information regarding the settings and configuration. You may access the user guide, among other support tools, here: http://spr.ly/6606z1LOm . As for the firmware update, we recommend retrying it periodically. Let us know if these issues persist.

-George

0 Likes