Why does my 4620L spontaneous power-off?
Scott8586

Hi

I'm using a 4620L at a remote site in an always-on setting.  I have it set to "never" turn off, and I have a device connected to the 4620L that regularly connects to the internet (say every 60 to 120 seconds).    Ever since the firmware update in early December, it is experiencing spontaneous shutdown/power-off  about once a week (varies a lot) - once it happened right in front of my eyes.  Not disconnect, but a complete power off.

I've tried a hard reset to device defaults, and reconfigure, but it still happens.

Has anyone else had this happen?  Any comments or suggestions?  I'm contemplating returning it for a replacement.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 4620L spontaneous shutdown/power-off
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Sounds like maybe the firmware update damaged the software on the device.

I would call that one in for support if you are still covered under the warranty.  VZW should not fight you too much for a situation like that especially if you can manage to re-create it.  Chances are good you could even bring it into a VZW store and swap it on the spot.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Sounds like maybe the firmware update damaged the software on the device.

I would call that one in for support if you are still covered under the warranty.  VZW should not fight you too much for a situation like that especially if you can manage to re-create it.  Chances are good you could even bring it into a VZW store and swap it on the spot.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Scott8586!

Spontaneous shut downs can be quite a burden! I am sorry that you are experiencing this. Let me see if I can help.

I know from personal experience that all hotspots do have a saftey circut inside of them that will shut the device down if it is getting too hot. This is to save internal components from being damaged. Do you ever notice that it gets warm? Also, it may be the battery itself that since it's been plugged in always, it does not know how much charge to keep. When did you get the device? You may still be under you 1-year warranty and if so, both the device and battery are covered. Please let us know.

Thanks!
MichelleG_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Scott8586

I took the same guess, and had the device swapped out.  So far (~three weeks) it's operating continuously, without interruption.  The battery suggestion by MichelleG is also good, but I ended up keeping the battery - so I don't think that was it.

0 Likes