Wireless Internet for Desktop Computers
jjp009
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all!  I admit that although I know my phone and how it works pretty well, I am completely illiterate when it comes to wireless internet. 

My questions are: How can I get the internet at home on my desktop computer WITHOUT a broadband connection?  There is a cable for the TV, but it's not mine and we can't have two accounts for Charter at the same address.  Does Verizon sell the equipment and provide wireless internet service that I can add to my wireless phone bill?  I just bought a brand new desktop computer that says it is "Wireless LAN capable" and has WiFi, but I have no idea what to do with that. 

Can anyone help out a techno-idiot here?  Thank you all!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless Internet for Desktop Computers
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The great news is that our 4G devices are Mobile Hotspot capable. A  hotspot

provides Mobile Broadband service using an enabled Smartphone or basic phone as a modem.

•Easy to use for Internet access, launch the app on an MHS capable device and connect up to 5 Wi-Fi devices on a private Wi-Fi network.
•No software required, no driver, connection managers or additional software is necessary to use MHS.
•Works with any Wi-Fi capable device, gaming devices, digital cameras, digital photo frames, smartphones, tablets and PCs.
•Connect more devices (8 -10) with 4G smartphones (depends on the device).

In most cases all you need to do is set the feature up on your account with us, online or from the phone apps.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We have several ways to get you what you're looking for . Just to make sure we recommend the best option, how do you normally use your computer while online? What kind of phone do you have currently?
BryanS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You can get Internet through Verizon, but you will pay a fairly HUGE price for it.  I know with TWC, 25 meg down and 2 meg up speeds are $50 a month with no cap.  At 298GB this month, no way could I afford Verizon's wireless Internet with the MiFi hotspot device payment to add.  Wireless LAN just means that devices on your network can transfer files and wifi is just the way your DT connects to the router.  Verizon does offer home internet without the wireless angle.  Verizon FiOS Plans | 800-700-2116 | FiOS® Bundles

jjp009
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Snn5: Thank you for the quick reply.  Yeah, I looked into Fios and it is not available in my area yet.  They're been talking about it for a while, but it hasn't happened yet.  Thank you.

0 Likes
jjp009
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi VWCS: Well, I have my computer at work, so that is how I connect all day long, but when I get home, I have nothing...just a computer that is pretty much used for word processing and my finances.  Like I said, we have Broadband service through Charter (No Fios yet in my area), but I can't use that service and I am wondering how to connect my desktop to Verizon Wireless.  I have a Blackberry Bold 9930 that I am about to upgrade on November 9 when I am eligible, and I am super happy with the wireless service Verizon provides with that at home (ALWAYS 5 bars!), so it would be great if I could bring that to my desktop somehow.  Thank you!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Let me ask you why you do not have Charter Internet at home, but you have cable with Charter?  Just have the cable account owner add Internet and then pony up the cost.  If cost is a concern, then you DO NOT need to get into Verizon Wireless Internet via hotspot device.  The data plans will cost you HUGE based on anything more than a few GBs a month.  I say get cable internet installed for no data cap and MUCH cheaper.

jjp009
Enthusiast - Level 2

Because I figured it will cost a fortune to have a Charter tech come in and wire up my apartment for internet (which he would have to do because it's not currently wired).  Thought wireless would be cheaper.  Apparently not, huh?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You have cable tv?  Then the cable is already there. Most cable companies charge $0-30.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The great news is that our 4G devices are Mobile Hotspot capable. A  hotspot

provides Mobile Broadband service using an enabled Smartphone or basic phone as a modem.

•Easy to use for Internet access, launch the app on an MHS capable device and connect up to 5 Wi-Fi devices on a private Wi-Fi network.
•No software required, no driver, connection managers or additional software is necessary to use MHS.
•Works with any Wi-Fi capable device, gaming devices, digital cameras, digital photo frames, smartphones, tablets and PCs.
•Connect more devices (8 -10) with 4G smartphones (depends on the device).

In most cases all you need to do is set the feature up on your account with us, online or from the phone apps.

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

And add on a lot of data. OP is looking for home internet use and wireless data is not a cost effective solution.

0 Likes