Cloud Contacts
mrsmerc

i just got a new Android phone.  All of my contacts from the cloud transferred, but in multiples.  Some contacts have the same info 5-6 times Or more!

I signed into the cloud to try to manage this.  I edited off the extra information And saved.

I permanently deleted old contacts that I no longer wanted.  Everything keeps coming back.  It is like Ground Hog Day.  Can anyone help me to manage this frustrating problem? 

I chose my Google contacts to view on my phone.  It keeps linking with cloud contacts.  When I go into the phone contacts, I have entries for people that I never put in a phone book.  I don't know where they came from!  The cloud says I have over 1,700 contacts to back up.  I never had this problem before.  Any input is appreciated.  I really need to permanently delete the unwanted information, and sync with Google Contacts so they are the same, or only keep Google contacts and get rid of the cloud.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Cloud Contacts
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I used to see this problem quite a bit when syncing contacts to multiple databases.

The way I resolved the problem was to look over each database....see what datafields they had in common....pick a single contact....delete it from all databases....carefully rebuild the contact using only the datafields common to them all and then sync the contact.

It seems that using dissimilar datafields or having typos will result in multiple entries and/or repeating information within any given contact.

It took me quite a bit of time to do this, but, now my contact list is uniform in three different devices and within cloud apps for Verizon Wireless and Google.

I do keep my Microsoft Outlook contact database separate from my Google and Verizon Wireless contact databases.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great tip by dexman. Some of your saved profiles may not have the same information which can cause multiple contacts within the grouping. However, we do want to make sure you are all set with your device. What kind of phone do you have? Do you have contacts backed up in your Google account as well?

JasperM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mrsmerc

I have the Moto Z Force Droid.  I am using Google contacts for my "Contact List" on this phone.

I have multiple "Linked Contacts" entries in most of my contacts.  They come from "Phone - Cloud" Phone.

Is it safe to assume that this is the Verizon Cloud?  I have deleted the entries from the Verizon Cloud.  They don't go away on my phone.  Can I link individual contacts one at a time between Verizon Cloud and Google Contacts, or do they have to all be linked together?

I have unchecked the box to back up contacts in the Verizon Cloud.  (If I just totally disable the Verizon Cloud, will I they totally go away from the phone?)  I have deleted contacts from the computer on the Verizon Cloud.  I currently have gotten it down to 595 contacts.

Currently Verizon "Connections" - contacts (on my Cloud phone app) says that I have 1753 contacts not backed up.  I don't think I even know that many people!  I am afraid to back them up.  I'm not sure what will happen.  Will they re-appear.

I want to delete old business contacts that are no longer active/valid.  They are not in Google at all.  They won't go away from the phone.  Some entries are not even people or contacts.  They resulted from surveys taken to rate customer service from my billing company.

In addition, contact photos have attached to the wrong contact.  I don't know how to remove these photos or transfer them back to the correct entries.

I would like to get everything back in order, no matter how long it takes.  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like you have contacts distributed amongst three locations...

. The phone itself

. Verizon cloud

. Google contacts

You can delete contact information that is saved to Google from your phone. Likewise, you can delete any contact information stored in the phone itself. You won't be able to delete Verizon Cloud contact information via the phone. You will need to log into Verizon Cloud from a computer and delete the contacts that way.

I would suggest choosing 1 bad contact, unlink everything, delete the entry from the phone, then Google and finally Verizon. After deleting from Verizon, don't forget to empty the trash basket as the contact will moved there.

That should eliminate the contact from all locations.

mrsmerc

Thanks so much for your response.  I'm really in a pickle here.

I went to phone contacts.

How do you unlink  contacts, please?

I went to the phone and selected one contact.  It says that this person has:  Linked contacts (2)

Phone-Cloud and Verizon Cloud (not in Google at all.)

There is no place to unlink that I can find.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I own a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, so, what I see might not exactly match what you see on the Motorola.

When I look at a contact listing, one item I see is a "chain link". If I tap the link, the screen changes to list the different linked locations. There I can tap each entry and unlink them.

If I return to the contact list, I'll find each unlinked entry listed individually. From there each entry...except for the Verizon Cloud...can be edited or deleted.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Not a problem, mrsmerc. I am sure we will find a solution to your concern.With regard to the linked contacts you will have to unlink them from your google account. Here is a link to help with the process of doing so http://vz.to/2fgyzUn. Let us know if this helps with your issues.

JasperM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes