Duplicate contacts
mcbears

I have SO many duplicate contacts on my phone. How can I remove them and not lose data?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Duplicate contacts
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mcbears,

Duplicates can be a nuisance. Help is here. What make/model are we working with? What possible apps are on the device that sync your information?

KatiM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LLBowen

What is this???? You gave no help!!!! You just asked a question... how do we fix it ?

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Help cannot be provided until the question as to what make/model of phone they have is answered.  LLBowen​, maybe you have some insight you can provide?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
LLBowen

Samsung S7, but doesn't matter what phone.. the cloud duplicates the

contacts everytime I get a new phone. Then when I sync to gmail, which is

mandatory when you get a new phone, it duplicates the upload to Google.

So... there are duplicates in the cloud, phone, and gmail. Even if I

deleted duplicates on the phone.. the cloud keeps them. Aside from deleting

one by one, there should be a "delete duplicates " option.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

It appears mcbears​ has either solved their problem or lost interest in pursuing it on this forum.  As for your issue LLBowen​, shouldn't you start a thread in the proper group, maybe Samsung Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge in Android?  When you refer to 'duplicates in the cloud' do you mean your Verizon Cloud account storage?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
LLBowen

The issue is Verizon cloud.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LLBowen

We definitely want to stop any pesky duplicates from appearing on your Verizon Cloud. In order to better understand what is happening, we do need to ask a few questions. If you were to log in to view your cloud contacts from My Verizon using a computer, do you see duplicate contacts there as well? To confirm, this is only happening when you receive a new phone? Once you delete the duplicate contacts on the Cloud, they don't reappear?

AmberK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

From my personal experience, duplicate contacts happen when saving contacts to multiple cloud providers and linking them all together.

Different providers often provide different data fields for users to build their contact entries. If the data fields are different, or, data within a given entry does not match 100%, a separate entry could be auto generated.

What I have done is sync my Android smartphones to the devices themselves, Google and Verizon Wireless. I sync my Microsoft Surface 3, Surface Pro 3 and Insignia Windows tablet to Outlook. The Windows devices do not sync to Verizon Wireless or Google.

I use only data fields that are common to Google and Verizon Wireless. With patience, I've been able to get my contact lists squared away.