Not backing up contact
sjcj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just backed up contacts from LG3 to cloud.  It said backup successful, but recent contacts I added on the phone did not backup to the cloud.  Any thought?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Not backing up contact
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

sjcj,

I definitely understand your concern to not see those contacts back up! I would be too. What Cloud application are you using? How much space is available on the cloud?

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sjcj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried backing up my contacts from the app on my LG3 and from the app on my laptop.  I also tried syncing my phone from Verizon wireless -- cloud on the internet.  My phone tells me that the contacts back up was successful, but in fact that is not accurate.  The recent contacts I have added are not backing up to my cloud. Everything else (files, photos, music, etc backs up fine).

I have 25 GB, of which I have used 3.8 GB.  The trash in my cloud is empty.

How should I proceed to ensure that my contacts get backed up correctly?

Thanks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

sjcj,

That's a big help! We want to make sure your contacts back up without any issue. Are other older contacts backed up and showing when you check online? How were these contacts added to the phone? Do you know if they are tied to any other account such as your Gmail or Facebook or anything else?

AndrewT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sjcj
Enthusiast - Level 3

My contacts were backing up fine at one point...up until a couple months ago.  I add contacts from the factory installed phone app that came with my LG3.  That's how I have added contacts since I got the phone about a year ago. 

I would really like to get this taken care of as it is critical to have real time contact info available in my cloud.  I have been trying to understand for several days now (through this community forum) why this is happening.

Suggestions for a fix?

Thank you!!

0 Likes
sjcj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I dont believe the contacts are tied to any other account.  If they are, I am not aware of it, but as I said in earlier posts, nothing has changed on my end.  Im just not understanding why not all of my contacts are being backed up.  The phone tells me back up is successful, but it is not backing up all of my contacts.

Please help...

Thanks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Shane, I am glad that you reached out to us. There is a way to tell where your contacts are being stored. If you open one of the contacts that are not backing up, and hit the edit button, this will show you if it is an email contact or if you have it, a facebook contact. THis will also show if it is a phone contact. Once you can determine where it is from you can check the account online, either email or cloud. You can also check your trash folder on the Verizon cloud. Click the link http://vz.to/IsygQ6 for the cloud content. Let us know if this helps restore or find your contacts.
CheriS_VZW

0 Likes
sjcj
Enthusiast - Level 3

First, let me preface this conversation with the fact that I have never assigned a contact type (Google, Cloud, etc) to any contact in my contact list.  In fact, I had no idea what it was until we started digging deeper into why some of my contacts were backing up and some were not.  I have 570 contacts in my phone, 200 are designated as Cloud type and the remainder are designated Google.  How that designation took place is a mystery.  So, I did a bit of experimentation to try and understand what was happening.

Experiment 1:  I chose to contacts that were not backing up to my Cloud and changed the contact type to Cloud.  I then performed back-up and sure enough they were now in my cloud.

Experiment 2:  I went into the setting on my phone app to check out what accounts were set up to sync with my phone app.  There was Google, Yahoo and Cloud.  I went into the Google account for Sync contacts.  I then went set up a random contact and as you would suspect, the Google contact type was no longer available. 

I now know why my contacts were not backing up to my cloud, but after digging into the initial problem, several related issues have surfaced.  I would like to mitigate having these type of problems in the future.  I have several related questions for you before I put this issue to rest.

1.  Since I never designated a contact type when setting up any contact, how is it that my contacts are dispersed over Google and Cloud? 

2.  Is there a way to configure my phone app to default to a specified contact type? 

2.  Is there an easy fix which will enable me to change the account type for more than one contact at the same time?

2.  Is there a way to configure my phone so that it auto sync's with multiple contact types (for example, Google and Cloud)?  Ideally, I would like both accounts to back up all of my contacts.the accounts which are set up in my phone app.

Thanks for all the help up to this point.  I look forward to getting this string closed out.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Shane, there you are! I was wondering what happened with your contacts. Glad that you were able to find the culprit with the information I gave you. The good news is there is a way to set up the default for where your contacts are saved. You would need to set up sync for both accounts. You can go to contacts> then settings> accounts> and choose contacts. Open each of the accounts you want to sync and set them up to sync. This will make sure all your contacts will backup there for you automatically. In the same token this is where you can also turn off sync. It will allow you to set up the options in each account. Let me know if this helps. I'm here for you.
CheriS_VZW

0 Likes
sjcj
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's interesting.  Before I started looking further into this, which was after I posted this question, all my accounts are set up to sync with my contact.  But, that is not happening.  As I said in my previous responses, I have 570 contacts, but only 200 are  backing up to my cloud.  Those 200 contacts are assigned a google contact type only. 

I have never been prompted or otherwise to select an account type for any contact.  Why, if I have sync set up for both google and cloud do I not have 570 contacts in each?  If an contact is set up as Chrome contact type and I turn off sync in Chrome account, but still have it on in the Cloud, it will not back up to Chrome.  Therefore, setting all accounts to sync will still only pull the contact that is designated as that particular account.

So, on the phone, can I set up a contact to be multiple contact types?  I realize I can set up multiple accounts to sync with my contacts, but it syncs only those designated as that contact type (Google account sync...pulls contacts which are set up as Google type....Cloud account sync...pulls contacts that are set up as Cloud contacts and does not back other contact types to the cloud)..

I hope that helped to clarify what I'm trying to get across....the same as my previous post.  Here it is in a nutshell

************At this point, I want all 570 contacts which are on my phone to back up to Verizon Cloud and Google.  Currently, all accounts are set up to sync, 200 contacts are set up as Cloud and the remainder are set up to Google.  Even though all accounts are set up to sync, Cloud is backing up 200 and Google the rest.  BUT I NEVER SET UP  CONTACT TYPE FOR ANY CONTACT...I didn't even know that existed prior to posting this question.  Given this info about my contacts, how do I get all contacts to back up to Google and Cloud? ***********

0 Likes