Should it really take 38 hours to backup?
bbstucki
Enthusiast - Level 2

Downloaded the Verizon cloud on my old phone. Registered. When I tried to run it, got the message that I didn't have an account. Chatted online with verizon customer service. He 'fixed' it so I was able to start. When I tried to login again, said password was wrong. Called cs again, they actually did fix it and I was able to start backing up to vz cloud. 18 hours later, backup says I have 20 more hours to go. Really? Is that normal? Close to a full day and a half just to backup about 5G of contacts, photos, and music? And, is it going to take that long to download to my new phone? And will I have to contact verizon cs everytime I want to login to the cloud?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Should it really take 38 hours to backup?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That does certainly seem like an exorbitant amount of time, bbstucki. The initial back up and restore process will take a little longer than future back ups, but it should not be a full day+. Is the device being backed up while connected to WiFi or has it been utilizing mobile data as well? When in the Cloud application on your phone, what categories did you select at “what to back up” in the settings?

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bbstucki
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone has been connected to WiFi the entire time it has been backing up. When I opened the cloud app on my phone, the choices were to transfer data to another phone or to backup to Verizon cloud. As soon as I clicked on backup, it just starting running the backup. I didn't see a choice anywhere asking what to back up. Perhaps I needed to scroll to some other spot on my phone?

"'Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for that extra insight, bbstucki. Let’s find the solution. Can you please fill me in on the model of your old phone? Also, what phone are you switching to?

JenniferH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bbstucki
Enthusiast - Level 2

Old phone is iPhone 4s, new phone is iPhone 6s plus. Backup estimates now are 240 minutes but keeps fluctuating from anywhere between 190 minutes to 320 minutes.

"'Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Definitely good to see we’re nearing the end, bbstucki. The iPhone will only allow the back up of Contacts, Photos, and Videos through Verizon Cloud. Usually the initial set up provides you the options to select which of those three you want to back up, whether to do it over WiFi only or WiFi and cellular, along with an estimate of the size your total files will be and a time estimate. When you access the Cloud app, there should be three horizontal lines on the upper left corner to select followed by Settings. You can check what to back up, how to back up, and even when to back up from there.  

Going iPhone to iPhone you also have the option of using the Apple services, like iCloud, to backup http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-49879 the old phone and restore http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-177859 to the new one or even use iTunes https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252 for a seamless transition.

JenniferH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes