Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,724 Members online 269K Discussions 43.9K Solutions
Trying to Restore Contacts, but Contacts isn't listed under Content Restore
JLAW13

Hi all,

My contacts have been a mess for more than a year. Somehow a lot of them got merged and I am unable to delete any contacts. So, last night I exported my corrected contacts into my Google account and also downloaded them into a VCF file just in case. I then deleted all contacts in my Cloud and uploaded the corrected contacts. Other than one or two missing numbers (which I had written down), the upload went great. Now I'm trying to restore my contacts to my phone (Google 2 XL running Oreo with the April security patch). However, when I look at the cloud on my phone and go into content restore, Contacts is not listed as an option. Is that because I turned off sync for Contacts while I cleaned them up? If I turn sync back on, won't the Contacts in the cloud be removed because I have no Contacts on my pone? I talked to a Verizon CSR last night and they said that whatever I do on my phone is what happens in the cloud (not true as I tried deleting several contacts several times and the stupi things came back every time). Any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Trying to Restore Contacts, but Contacts isn't listed under Content Restore
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JLAW13,

Making sure you have your correct contacts is essential and we definitely want to help get them restored for you. When you got the contacts from your saved version, did you just add them back through the cloud website? Have you tried restoring the contacts that were saved via Google? In order to get anything that was uploaded via the cloud, you would have to turn the sync option back on via your device.

CandiceH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could your contacts be saved to your Google account instead?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JLAW13

As I stated above, my Contacts were saved in my Google account.

0 Likes
JLAW13

Once again, yes, they were uploaded into the Cloud. However, last night a Verizon rep stated that anything done on my phone overrides what is done in the cloud. Therefore, my question is again: Will my contacts be erased if I turn Cloud sync back on because I have NO contacts on my PHONE?

Considering I haven't been able to delete any contacts on my phone without them returning, I am very leery of the Cloud actually working the way it's supposed to. I've had 2 different phones and Verizon tried to tell me that the problem was my phone. Obviously it's not.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JLAW13, I can understand your concerns here with syncing your device. However, if you have Contacts in the Verizon Cloud then you will be able to retrieve them by syncing your device with the Verizon Cloud once more. Have you tried syncing your device with your Google account as your Contacts had been stored there that you know of at one point?

CecileC_VZW

0 Likes
JLAW13

My "Contacts" are from my Google account. Again, as I stated above I stored them there after fixing them. My phone contacts however are different. They are based off of what is in the Cloud (which btw is really stupid... Why can't Contacts be the same as your phone contacts? Whomever thought of that brilliant idea is an idiot).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for any confusion on our part. We understand the importance of your contacts. When restoring contacts from Cloud, it will not erase contact stored on other sources such as your Google Contacts. Before restoring the contacts, have you looked at the Cloud website to view what information is stored there? http://spr.ly/6585DjlS7

AlbertoR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question, please click the �Correct Answer� button for my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
richs007
Verizon Employee

Ok.  If you go to the cloud website and see the contacts there how you want them, go ahead and turn contacts to sync.  It will pull down the contacts in the cloud into your phone.  It is a complicated algorithm to make sure the scenario you describe where an empty phone contact list won't replace the contacts in the cloud.  Think of the phone upgrade scenario and the first time you sync contacts for a phone upgrade. You should be fine.

0 Likes