Why are Verizon Cloud contacts linked to the contacts they backed up?
LTCOLUMBO0
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am frustrated that information that Verizon Cloud backs up from contacts is then automatically added to the contacts list and linked back to the contacts it backs up.  In other words, even though I select Google as the only item in the "Contacts to Show" setting, my Verizon Cloud contacts are "displayed" and thus automatically linked to each and every contact, thus duplicating the information.

Why do you display the backup copy of contacts with the original contact and provide no way to control this and turn it off?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why are Verizon Cloud contacts linked to the contacts they backed up?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LTCOLUMBO, we're sorry to hear that your contacts are not backing up as you would like them to. When you use Verizon Cloud, it has primary sync functions. You have the option to change your contact view by opening your contact list, select three dots or lines in the upper right corner, settings, and select "Contact to display".

Trinette_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LTCOLUMBO0
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think you misunderstood. I know how to select what contacts are displayed and not displayed, but there is no option for Verizon Cloud, so I have no control on their inclusion or exclusion in my list of contacts. There should be an option to include or exclude the Verizon Cloud contacts in my contacts display.

Mike

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LTCOLUMBO0, it's essential that we get you the control that you need for your contacts. I'm sorry to hear that your contacts have been duplicated. Let's make sure we're on the same page. What model phone do you have? How have you been saving your new contacts? How long have you been having this issue?

Joel_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LTCOLUMBO0
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 from Verizon and believe this problem has existed for at least a year if not the entire time I have had the phone (over 2 years). I only recently figured out what is causing the problem. This has also meant that sometimes older contact information which the Cloud has, is displayed first and I have mistakenly used the old information.

I recently reloaded all of my contacts to Google, a clean delete and upload, and reset my phone so all contacts were reloaded from Google. I also deleted all contacts from Verizon Cloud. Once Verizon Cloud was reactivated, that’s when I noticed the problem. I currently have Android 8.0.0 and previously 7.x and both have the same issue.

Mike

0 Likes
richs007
Verizon Employee

I believe it's a function of Android.  When Verizon Cloud backs up contacts, it puts them into a read only address book on the phone.  When you see that red cloud icon, you know it's been backed up to the cloud.

If you deleted all of the contacts from Verizon Cloud  and you updated your "What to Backup" setting in the cloud app to stop backing up/restoring contacts, I believe that icon should go away.

0 Likes
LTCOLUMBO0
Enthusiast - Level 2

It may be, but as the only contacts I have enabled for display are my Google contacts, why do the Verizon Cloud contacts get linked with my Google contacts? How can my Verizon Cloud contacts be prevented from display? In any case, this is something that Verizon should address as why would a user want to link a backup copy of a contact to the source for that contact?

Mike

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Making sure my contacts are up to date with not duplicates is a must for me. We are here to help. Contacts being linked to Verizon Cloud depends on where your contacts are being stored via the settings. Go to Contacts> Tap the three dots in the upper right corner and select Manage Contacts> Tap on Default Storage Location> Ensure that it is set to Google. If "Phone" is listed Verizon Cloud will back up that information.

To prevent Verizon Cloud from appearing. Go to Contacts> Tap the Three Dots, Tap on Settings> Tap Contacts To Show> change Google.

Alberto_VZW

0 Likes
LTCOLUMBO0
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand how to display only Google contacts, and have followed the steps you describe.  My default storage location is set to Google(email address) and Contacts to Show is set to Google(email address).

The problem is that with these settings and when I select a contact, that I see the information both from Cloud and Google.  This is verified by when I display the contact, then select the 3 dots, and then select Manage liked contacts, it shows Cloud(cloud) and Google(email address).  What is needed is a way to not include the Cloud linkage, but I have found no option for this.