Will deleting pics from my sd card also delete them from the cloud?
Cyparisse

I know this probably seems like a dumb question, but it almost seems like the cloud is mirroring my phone. Any pics I take, it is saved on the cloud and in my sd card. I want to wipe out my sd card, but still save the pics to the cloud. I just want to make sure I do this correctly without losing anything. I assume that if I format the sd card it will not do anything to my cloud storage, but I am not very tech savvy and want to make sure I don't lose any music/pics/etc. Also, if I format the sd card, will I lose the music off my phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Will deleting pics from my sd card also delete them from the cloud?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Take the SD card out of the phone.  If your pictures/music etc remain in the cloud, without the SD card in the phone, then you can take the card and format it in your computer or the phone without losing theinfo that wa there when the card was not in the phone.  make sense? 

You may want to copy the info from the card to your computer or an external drive just to be sure you have them.  I back up to the cloud (Google and One Drive, primarily) but periodically download to an external hard drive, just as insurance.  What if the cloud evaporates?  Then again, my hard drive could go bad too...

View solution in original post

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Take the SD card out of the phone.  If your pictures/music etc remain in the cloud, without the SD card in the phone, then you can take the card and format it in your computer or the phone without losing theinfo that wa there when the card was not in the phone.  make sense? 

You may want to copy the info from the card to your computer or an external drive just to be sure you have them.  I back up to the cloud (Google and One Drive, primarily) but periodically download to an external hard drive, just as insurance.  What if the cloud evaporates?  Then again, my hard drive could go bad too...

Howesitgoin
Enthusiast - Level 1

What SuzyQ answered is good. The cloud is storage on servers through the internet, and your sd card is a kind of hard copy storage. Make sure you go through your settings when you take out your SD card, so it disconnects in a way and prepares the phone and the card to be taken out. You can also copy the files to a computer through the USB cord and using media player or windows explorer.

And the mirror thing you mention is a setting in your phone. You can set the default to save photos and music and such to where you want. So it is most likely set to both cloud and SD card right now, but you should be able to change it to just cloud or just SD card if you want.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

If you are using Google Photos it is doing that by design. There is no way to change it. People have been requesting it to be one way instead of this.

0 Likes