issue with the cloud service?
TeriandJim
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there currently an issue with the cloud service? For 2 days, I've been getting the "contacts backup failed" message. Everything else is backing up fine, but contacts is a huge mess. I've tried everything  I know how to do that might have cleared the problem to no avail.

cleared cache and data, no success.

uninstalled cloud and reinstalled, no success

Exported contacts to a file on SD card, then deleted them all on my device, and cloud via my pc, uploaded vcf file from my pc to cloud,  and tried running backup, no success.

Deleted all contacts again, imported them from file to my device. Ran cloud backup, no success

I don't remember what else I tried, but still no success which leads me to believe there's a problem with the cloud.

Any help would be appreciated.  And please don't advise me to switch to Google backup. If I wanted to use them I would. The cloud has always worked well for me until now. I use it, I like it. JUST MAKE IT WORK AGAIN!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: issue with the cloud service?
TeriandJim
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I was able to get to town (20 miles) and back this morning while the Temps were up enough that the roads weren't ice.  I ran a backup while I was there, and wouldn't you know it.....IT WORKED! Smiley Happy  Hooked my tablet to my Hotspot and it worked too!  I'm home in one piece and all is working here now too. Isn't it strange that sometimes it just gets "stuck" and seems to need a different tower? VZW is welcome to put a tower up here on my land anytime! (I'm  not the only one wishing for a tower here)

thanks dexman for the help, and thanks vzw tech for your help too.  ISSUE SOLVED!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your efforts are greatly appreciated, let's see what's causing the problem. When did the issue begin? Which device do you have? When you attempted to backup your contacts were you connected vis wi-fi or the VZW network.

AyaniB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I just executed a backup and no problems with the contact list.

0 Likes
TeriandJim
Enthusiast - Level 3

It started Tuesday.  I have a note 4 and a galaxy tab s (WiFi only)

I'm connected via WiFi on both devices. The Network is not strong enough to use mobile data where I am. The tablet didn't start having an issue until last night. I can't get out to try the mobile network probably for the next couple of days because of the weather here.

When I log in to cloud from the tablet, it says 0 contacts in the cloud, but if I touch the contacts, they are there. Same on the note 4, but when I touch contacts there, there are none showing, and it says "contacts are waiting to be backed up."

Now, I know they're there because I uploaded the .vcf file myself and confirmed they were there on my pc.

0 Likes
TeriandJim
Enthusiast - Level 3

add to what I've tried..

I reset my network router, no success

I've done a cold boot of the note 4, no success

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's make sure your contacts are safe and sound, TeriandJim. Getting your Verizon cloud service up and running again is our number one goal. Our next step is to isolate this as a network or application matter. My recommendation is to attempt to back up your contacts with wifi off when you are able to. If the issue duplicates again we will need to lift this up to our network team for a solution. Also, please ensure your software version is up to date on both devices.

If you need more data for the back up you may qualify for a 2 GB promotion if you download and install the Go90 application. Click here please: http://vz.to/1naAJme

AnthonyC_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Re: Re: issue with the cloud service?
TeriandJim
Enthusiast - Level 3

dexman

Thanks for that. I wonder if this could be a geographical thing. That's happened to me before. Something not working, and as soon as I get where I can be on the mobile network, everything is fine again. Sure wish they'd send the "can you hear me now?" guy out here.

0 Likes
TeriandJim
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm betting when I can get out, this will resolve itself.  

The only other thing I can tell you right now is what just hit me as I sit here trying to think of some possible cause.....

I TOOK A SYSTEM UPDATE on the note 4 right before (hours before) this started. And, then got a system update on the tablet last night right before it started there! That almost has to be the answer.  The note 4 update history says I updated to N910VVRU2BOK3. It was only a few hours after I got that update that this started. The tablet was still backing up fine too, until  I took the system update there.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are one step closer to solving this mystery, TeriandJim. I agree with you and this is most likely something software related since it started right after the recent updates. With that being said I would recommend using the factory repair assistant tool to correct any software glitches. I have included the link with the steps here: http://vz.to/1Ww8MSv

AnthonyC_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I sporadically run into this same problem...minus the software updates.

With my Samsung Galaxy S4, I often end up "uninstalling" the program...which rolls the software back to an earlier version. Most of the time I can then backup my contacts.

Of course the latest software installs itself soon after.

0 Likes