Windows 8 Loosing Internet
Paid2Travel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok here is my story and i need help desperately.. i have had my jetpack for about 6 months.. untill about a month ago there was never any connection issues.. I have for devices that I connect to it.. one HP netbook with Windows 8 , One MSI gaming laptop with Windows 8.1 and another MSI gaming laptop with Windows 7.. also one Asus tablet running android..

Here is the issue .. after booting up the jetpack.. it will stay connected all day so long as i use my Windows 7 machine or the Tablet.. at any point i connect either of my Windows 8 machines with in about 10 minutes it looses the internet connectivity and stays that way till i do one of 2 things.. shut down the windows 8 machine or reboot the jetpack at which point all is good for about another 10 minutes.. Please help the windows 8 machines are my primary machines

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Windows 8 Loosing Internet
Snn5
Legend

Any chance there is a driver update for the Win 8 machines' wireless cards?  Also, does it matter the order in which each machine connects to the jetpack?  As in, is there a limit to connected devices or a safeguard in place for a time out?

0 Likes
Paid2Travel
Enthusiast - Level 2

no with a driver issue it would not let you connect for 10 minutes then loose it.. also there is 2 different machines.. using 2 different wireless cards .. but  just for the sake of being sure i just checked and my drivers are up to date

Paid2Travel
Enthusiast - Level 2

also remember that these same two machines did not have this problem until about a month ago

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

John Getzke or another member may be better versed in this issue than I.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The details suggest a hardware incompatibility.  Something coming from the Win8 machine is causing the Jetpack to glitch and disconnect from the VZW network.  Normally I would think to update drivers in this scenario but it sounds like you already did that.

Are we talking about the same wireless adapter in both Win8 machines or are they different?  The next troubleshooting step would likely be to test a different adapter on the Win8 machine to further isolate the problem.  For example if you have a USB adapter you could quick install it and see if the same problem happens.  If it does then you know your normal wireless adapters are fine and there's something on the Win8 machine that's causing the disconnect instead.

You could also consider reloading one of the Win8 machines and test from a clean state after the default wireless drivers are installed.  This would help you confirm the normal OS, drivers and NICs are fine and that the DC is application related instead.

I would also check the logs on your Jetpack.  Every Jetpack I can think of has some kind of a logging feature that can be enabled and referenced that will record connects and disconnections from the VZW network.  There might be a clue hiding out there that we can use.

A long shot would be to rig up some kind of a repeater and get your Win8 machines to route through that device instead.  At least that way they wouldn't be directly interacting with the Jetpack and the traffic can be handled by the repeater instead.

Lots of ideas here, try a few and report back to us.

plains5728

I upgraded to a Jetpack yesterday. I got a free tablet with a new hotspot. The tablet would connect to the hotspot but I couldn't get my laptop running Win 8.1 to connect. It's taken me two days but I finally figured it out. Connect the tablet (or any other device you've got that will connect to the Jetpack) to the Jetpack. Open a browser on the tablet go to http://my.jetpack. The admin password is the Jetpack password. Change the authentication type to WPA/WPA2 PSK. Change the encryption to TKIP/AES. When the Jetpack restarts connect your laptop to the Jetpack. Open a Command Prompt in Admin mode.

cd \Users\<username>\Documents.<enter>

netsh <enter>

wlan <enter>

set profileparameter name="<Jetpack name>" authentication=wpa encryption=tkip useOneX=yes <enter>

Now try connecting your laptop to the Jetpack.

The laptop connects with WPA, the tablet connects with WPA2.

0 Likes