Re: Any new Ellipsis 7 owners care to tell me what they think of their new tablet?
mkat22
Enthusiast - Level 1

I hate it.  I've had ipads for years and I thought perhaps this might be a good way out of apple dependence.  NOT. This is a horrible cheap product.  Unreliable, constantly rebooting and resetting itself. Nothing intuitive about it.  Hate it! I've had it three months and will get rid of it very soon.

Re: Any new Ellipsis 7 owners care to tell me what they think of their new tablet?
mkat22
Enthusiast - Level 1

totally agree with you.  not even worth the free tablet! 

liverdonor
Enthusiast - Level 2

First, caveat: this is only the second tablet I've owned, both cheap Android devices.

Of the two, the Ellipsis is clearly more functional, as the other was an eBook reader with very limited functionlity.

Things I learned after it was too late to return the device:

1) it ain't just a big phone. In fact, it isn't a phone at all - you cannot place calls on it like you can on a Motorola or a Samsung. Having used it exclusively for web browsing and email and having never really used a fully-functional tablet before, I now feel pretty stupid that I never tried to place calls on it. It has a bloody phone number, a microphone and a speaker and a bluetooth radio - WHY CAN'T I USE IT AS A PHONE? This seems stupid to me.

2) Android, while an awesome phone OS, is mostly crap on a tablet. I should have gotten a Surface or an iPad, which have a real tablet-type touch OS.

3) I guess it's stuck at ICS. Upgrade attempts get the "cannot connect to server" message, so I assume Verizon wants me to stay at ICS forever. This is incredibly lame.

one good thing:

1) it works really well as an email/web device. But it seems like serious overkill and doesn't really help me much - I have a Windows phone and I can read/answer email and edit Word and Excel files. So what do I really need this device for?

I guess the end result is, it seems like a clever way for Verizon to get you to spend more/burn more of your data limit per month. There aren't many other things I can see that it's useful for.

0 Likes
Wolfpacker96
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had mine for about a month, and it's perfectly fine as long as you think if it as what it is, a cheap tablet that's a bit dated and doesn't have much memory.  If you think it's going to perform like a $400 tablet, well, hello......

Battery life isn't the greatest, but it lasts all day, even when I use it as a GPS and not charging for my 40 minute twice a day commute.

It only has Android 4.2.2 which is annoying as you can't save things directly to the SD card.  But it's not the end of the world. 

4G works great.  Wifi works.  Browsing and email works.  Probably can't load a bunch of games on it, but I'm not bothered by that.  I've installed things I need like AutoDesk 360, google earth, and waze and I still have over 2 GB left of storage.

Camera is lousy, but again, this thing is cheap and dated!  I paid nothing for it and Verizon gave me 18 months of 1 GB of data for free.  So I can reduce my share plan down a GB, save $10 and 18 months out of the 24 month commitment are entirely free, so basically (as long as my data usage doesn't go up) I paid $60 for 4G tablet.  And I use it mainly with wifi and have the 4G as needed.

0 Likes
easlingn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Got mine for free with $10.00 per month for 2 years.  Would never do again, Verizon should be paying me to put up with all the agravation.  Within the first month this cheap piece of junk started having a completely dead battery in the morning after being on charge overnight.  It didn't happen every night but you never would know if you would have a dead battery or not.  Took it back to verizon store for replacement and they had to have a UPS pick up and sent in for repair.  Was sent back saying could find no problem.  Same thing continued to happen so back to Verizon and they verified the problem but could only send it back for repair again and again they said no problem.  I have learned that when it happens I just unplug it and plug back in again and it will charge and I can use it in an hour or so. for the last few weeks it has gotten so some days it will work OK but other days it will lock up and require a hard shut-down and reboot sometimes two or three times a day.

I have 3 phones, this junk tablet, and a Jet Pack for internet and because of the treatment I have received with this tablet I am seriously looking at AT&T when my contract is up.

Tileman30127
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased this tablet December 30, 2014. It's been in the repair shop 3 times. It has a new Motherboard and still doesn't work correctly. Plug in to charge and would not turn back on, it reboot's on it'own and freezes up. I got it back today with a note they clean it. I would not give this tablet to my worst enemy. I have gotten very bad service from Verizon concerning the warranty. Even if I pay for a monthly fee for warranty they explained they won't replace it but send it back for service.

0 Likes
Joe_at_the_beach

I Have had mine for about 6 months.  My assessment.

Pluses: I like the size. I like having always available connection.

Cons: Mediocre screen, mediocre performance, poor quality cameras, substandard storage. SD card limited to storing media files and documents. You can't move programs even with Kitkat version of Android (4.4.2)

I got it free during a promotion and it is worth every penny I paid.

0 Likes
DaRamblerMan

Had it one month 4g went out. Got fixed started to install my apps and discovered it wont write to external sd card. Not worth the free price. Gonna let my associates daughter learn how to play games on it and going back to my dell venue 8.

0 Likes
Lkulczynski

I hate it. My last experience with Verizon and this tablet in the past 24 hours makes me want to pay the $70 restocking fee so i can go to another provider in september. they are worse than cheap car salesman and they dont tell you about a restocking fee or how terrible it is but they push it on you. when my phone broke and i said i just want a replacement yesterday the girl said oh you can get a tablet for 30 today and ten a month. i said no thank you and she asked again and i said no thank you and then she said well i changed your plan to be less 10 a month so if you buy this you will be paying the same amount you have been but getting two devices. and from that i felt like i should and she said most ppl do this. well thats because they trap you and when you finally realize whats happened, youre locked in. and they kept my usb cord i brought in and my new phone arrived and i dont have one and the new phone is dead. bottomline, this tablet is a cheap trick they push you on.

0 Likes
cchamp77
Contributor - Level 1

I think its ok for a starter tablet, plays movie well and can find lots of apps for music. Not enough memory for production programs but for entertaining I thinks its fine, will look for better tablets in the future that has more internal memory and can handle bigger sd cards.

0 Likes