Battery life - new tablet
bryawn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

I just got a new Ellipsis 8 and one of the more interesting features is its 5000 mAh battery which is claimed to deliver 14 hours of use. I know that battery capacity tends to improve after a few charge/discharge cycles. So, I've done that. However, I am not seeing battery performance remotely approaching 14 hours. In fact it seems more like an old laptop. In about an hour of use, the remaining battery drops from 100% to 60%. At that rate, I could maybe watch one movie and then it would be toast. Hardly 14 hours. Did I get a defective device, or are the battery life claims for this thing completely off the mark? Otherwise, I am pretty happy with this tablet, my biggest complaint being the sub-par (for 2015) camera.

0 Likes
Re: Battery life - new tablet
Snn5
Legend

Verizon's tablets have never been really awesome or stable, BUT as far as battery life goes there are a lot of factors from connectivity hardware being used to the screen to the processor and everything in between from runaway apps and screen brightness, to if the sound is being used and the tablet is searching for whichever signal and all types of things.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Do you have a 4G Tablet or Wi-Fi?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3
0 Likes
bryawn
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a 4G tablet. Look, I know how to set up Android devices to reduce energy consumption. Get all that. I have a Kindle Fire tablet that lasts for 10+ hours easily. The way the battery drops on the Verizon tablet is extreme. Like I said, similar to a Windows laptop from about 5 years ago. In other words, terrible. Does anyone have one of these tablets and can report on battery life? This feels like a defective tablet. If not, it's going back and I'll pay the restocking fee. Having a tablet hold battery for a couple of hours is a non-starter.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Look, it depends on what you were doing on the tablet when you lost 40%. So if you'd like to tell us how you were using the laptop; Wi-Fi, 4G, browsing, YouTube, Facebook etc. etc. etc. Plus what all your settings are, then we can help. Even if we had the tablet we wouldn't be using it the same exact way you do so battery life is not easy to compare.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Tablet* Not laptop.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I think that, defective or not, if the OP doesn't find the battery life to be adequate for the way he uses the device, he should return the tablet and exchange for another.

0 Likes
bryawn
Enthusiast - Level 2

The use case was normal activity. Reading content on the internet, setting preferences, etc. -- the types of normal use that should yield something close to the rated time of 14 hours. I'm not seeing anything close to even half of that. Most likely it is defective.

BTW, according to the battery usage graph, the biggest source of battery drain is the screen. The other factors like the radios or the processors are drawing very little power. The screen is set to Auto, and the display times out in 1 minutes. These are the default setting and should yield good battery performance.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Then I would exchange it or return it.

0 Likes