Elipsis 7 GPS problems
paweiss

I can't figure out if this actually has a GPS in it or not.  Anybody else?  When running anything wanting gps, like Maps, the status bar eternally shows "searching for GPS".  I've downloaded a couple of GPS status apps, and, while my phone, S5, says it can see something like 22 satellites, and is using 12-18 usually, the tablet sometimes says it can see 1, and uses 0.  Has anybody had any success with the GPS on this thing?

0 Likes
Re: Elipsis 7 GPS problems
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

paweiss,

That does seem a little odd to me. Let's take a look to see what we can do to get this on track. Can you please go into to Setttings, Location access, then if Access to my location is on check to make sure the check marks are in GPS & Verizon Location Services, and wi-fi & Mobile network location. If those are all checked, please switch the Access to my Location switch to off. Once that is off for a few seconds then flip the switch back on. Then re-test. Please keep us posted.

0 Likes
paweiss

Thanks for the suggestions.  Everything was turned on/checked in the settings; I tried turning gps off,  waiting a few seconds,  and turning back on. No improvement. 

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

paweiss,

Thank you very much for trying those steps. Have you been able to try to remove the sim card for a few seconds? You can always try that by following this link for the steps: http://vz.to/1n3zJNw Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
paweiss

Thanks for the suggestion. That didn't help either.

- Philip

On July 19, 2014 at 10:22 AM Verizon Wireless Customer Support

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks Philip for checking that out for us. When you try to use the GPS services do you get any kind of error message? Are you using Google Maps?  Or are you trying to use a 3rd party application from the Google Play Store? Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

0 Likes
paweiss

Hi Kevin,

No, I don't get an error message.  In Google Maps, I get an eternal "Searching for GPS" in the status bar.  Maybe I don't get an error message because Maps is able to approximate my position off of wifi, so it's happy enough when it gets a wifi signal.  I'll go walk around the corner and see what happens.  OK, I turned off wifi, and after a minute or so, it placed me about two miles away.  I restarted the tablet, with wifi off, and it still has me about two miles away, though, interesting enough, it isn't complaining that it's "Searching for GPS".  If I turn wifi back on, it zeros in on my house (well, almost, I think it might be the pole where the cable connection is around the corner), but it still isn't complaining about not finding the gps.  But if I walk away from my house, it puts me a couple miles away again.

With wifi on, or off, if I run another app, like GPS Test, it usually says there are no satellites in view, and none in use.  Occasionally, it will say that there is one in view, but none in use, though I haven't seen any rhyme or reason for when that happens, no matter how clear a view of the sky I give it.  Whereas, all my other devices always have 10-16 satellites in view, and most of those in use.

It's just not clear to me that they even put a GPS receiver in this thing.

Thank,

Philip    

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

paweiss,

Thank you for the detail information. I cannot speak on behalf of the 3rd party application. Since we don't support the 3rd party apps. I would love to have our network team get a chance to review this issue. In order for us to do this we would need to be in a Direct Message. I did request to follow you. If you could please accept tht at request and then request to follow me back. Then I will do the same and accept. Once we are following each other you will be able to send me the Direct Message: http://vz.to/1fbIKzK I hope to hear from you soon.

KevinR_VZW

0 Likes
paweiss

OK, done.    

0 Likes
paweiss

What should I do next?

- Philip

0 Likes