Elipsis 7 shows odd characters when texting
Baxter2013

Elipsis 7 Tablet.

My tablet is new and when I began texting, it would insert odd characters when I pressed a letter.  For example, when trying to use a question mark, it inserts it as an upside-down question mark.  In other examples, when using an 'a', it inserts a carat (upside-down 'v' over the letters).  I chatted with a support person and they had me reset the device, but the problem is still occurring.  I have checked languages and they are set to English US.  Other than that my knowledge about the device is limited.

0 Likes
Re: Elipsis 7 shows odd characters when texting
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try checking in the language and input for the keyboard settings and see if you can turn off the special characters.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Baxter2013

No, nothing to turn off special characters.  I am noticing that it occurs across multiple apps.  Google, Weight Watchers and Verizon Messaging.  When doing a search, it recognizes the special characters and won't perform a valid search.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Baxter2013!

Messaging is important, so I'd love to help with the special characters you're seeing. Are you using the messaging application that came on the device, or are you using an application for messaging from the Play Store? If you're using a 3rd party messaging application, please try the application that came on the device and see if you have the same issue. I've reviewed this device in my references, and I'm not showing this to be a known issue. I don't doubt your word, of course, and the fact that this is not listed as an issue, is a good sign! Let me know how it works out for you, thanks!

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Baxter2013

I started a chat session regarding this problem and they had me do a hard restart. That did not work. It is the texting app that came with the device. I am also experiencing the same problem when using Chrome or Google, or while using a Weight Watcher app. The problem is not regular so when I went to the store, they did a soft restart, but that also did not work. I believe my only recourse at this time is to return the device.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try going to your Language and Input settings, make sure both the system AND they keyboard are set to English.

Google Keyboard

You can configure Google Keyboard, and enable or disable it

for text input.

1. From the Home screen, tap Apps  Settings 

Language & input.

2. Tap the Google Keyboard option to enable or disable

the keyboard.

3. You can tap beside the Google Keyboard option to

configure the following:

• Input languages: Select languages for the

keyboard.

This is on page 75 of the user manual:  http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Verizon-Wireless-Ellipsis-7_id8207/manual

0 Likes