Ellipsis Update
nhaack2133
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got my Elipsis 7 tablet yesterday.  I, like other users here, cannot move apps to the SD card.  This lack of feature really puts the tablet at a disadvantage over others.  If this can't be fixed, I'll likely leave Verizon for another provider when my contract is up.  I feel like Verizon sells these without thinking of the end user.  I know the update is supposed to help, and this tablet is running the old software and says it is "Up to date."  Is there a way I can manually download this update and apply it myslef?  I know I've done this in the past with JetPacks, and I didn't know if tablets could be done this way as well.

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
Re: Ellipsis Update
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here's some advice. Take it back immediately and exchange it for the Nexus 7 LTE tablet. More space and latest software on the Nexus 7 LTE tablet.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

nhaack2133
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thats not helpful at all since there's a $70 restocking fee. 

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

nhaack2133 wrote:

Thats not helpful at all since there's a $70 restocking fee.

If you had researched the tablet and discovered it low end device status and multiple issues and purchased the Nexus 7 LTE tablet in the first place, you wouldn't have think about the restocking fee.

Sometimes they waive the restocking for phones (not sure about tablets) if you return the device within 3 days of purchase.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

nhaack2133,

We definitely want you to enjoy your tablet and make the most of your memory. You can also transfer information to your PC using USB mass storage. What is the software version number for your tablet? We definitely don't want to lose you, you can exchange this within 14 days to pick the best tablet for your needs.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

brwebster614

What does transferring information to your PC with USB mass storage do for anyone with this horrible product? I have 11 apps on my Ellipsis right now. A few of the apps out there that I want I can't get because they're too big for the "App Storage" that verizon forces us to use. It's an 8gb product, yet you can't use all 8gbs. I don't want music, movies, or documents on my tablet. I want apps. This thing has been a paperweight on my desk since the month I received it. I'm mad I didn't play with it quicker than I did (we got them black Friday and opened them on Christmas as gifts to eachother) so the 14 day return policy was useless. You would think with all of the complaints Verizon receives about this tab they'd fix the major issue - app storage, but nope. They can't even give you a good enough answer to the issue, they deflect at all times. If the coverage for Verizon wasn't so good I'd be gone. The service is over priced compared to competitors and products are half as good. I need the absolute best coverage possible otherwise I'd kick my contract to the curb.

0 Likes
sugar_lump_01
Enthusiast - Level 2

I downloaded the first update they released that was supposed to "help".... let me tell you, it was pretty much useless. It allowed you to move some apps to tablet space, but it didn't increase the app download space at all. I went to the store a couple of months ago with a friend and mentioned that they should NEVER buy an ellipsis because of how terrible the division of download space was, and an associate said they were supposed to release ANOTHER update in a few weeks. The update never came. So, the tablet is still a paperweight.

sugar_lump_01
Enthusiast - Level 2

They've been using that response since they first released this stupid thing. I got my tablet during black Friday, so there weren't a lot of reviews out there about the tablet... and the associates made it sound great. When I tried to return it they offered to only charge me half of the restocking fee (LOL, yeah right). It was amazing to me how none of the associates seemed to know that there was even a problem. I had to explain it over and over like, 5 times. Finally, the guy just basically said, well, you bought a cheap tablet, so that's what you get.

0 Likes
BackupBob
Enthusiast - Level 1

The 14 day exchange will do me no good.  It took three months to discover that you get only 1 gig of app memory and that the built-in apps, which cannot be deleted, takes up most of that space.  So, for $240 a year for the next two years my wife and I ave these lovely tablets that can do almost nothing. 

I understand you can put in an SD card but it cannot be used for apps, in fact, without a 3rd party file manager app it cannot be used for much of anything.  Without a 3rd party file manager you cannot even see files copied from a computer, but that is another story.

I am not a gamer, I am not a tablet enthusiast, I have installed very few apps, and my needs are minimal.  In other words, I am low end user and even so this tablet has run out of room.  Surely Verizon can address the problem.  If not, perhaps they can offer a really low cost update to something else.  I suspect my wife would enjoy an upgrade, too. 

If I have to upgrade at my own expense it will not be at a Verizon store.  The waits for a representative are terrible and the product line is limited.  I would never buy a phone from a 3rd party outfit such as Verizon's "Premier Resellers" or Best Buy out of concern the contract they write will be either over priced or not handled right, but a tablet is another story. 

If I understand correctly, I should be able to buy an Apple tablet with a Verizon radio, plug in my SIM card, and be up and running.  I would rather not do that.  The Ellipsis does very well for many things, or it did until it ran out of memory. 

Chris_H1
Contributor - Level 1

As I have read through these posts, I am dismayed to find I too was not given accurate information regarding this tablet. All of us appeared to be assured when the tablet was purchased that we could expand our storage capacity through the use of an SD card.  But, as I discovered today, the SD card is essentially useless because you cannot transfer downloaded apps to it. Despite the update, people still cannot do this. I was sold my tablet two weeks ago, but was not warned about this limitation. My question is does Verizon have no concern for its customers that it will allow these concerns to go on unaddressed?  And are you satisfied that your stores continue to a supply false information to customers?  Is this an issue that will be corrected at any time in the near future?