Re: Ellipsis Update
thellmer
Enthusiast - Level 2

If/when they release a KitKat upgrade for the device, the SD card will/would become an integrated part of the tablet to be used for app or media storage and the device's OS would be less memory and less processor intensive.  Kit kat is a very efficient OS compared to Jelly Bean which is what these tablets currently employ.   Verizon needs to get the Kit Kat update out on these tablets and make current users happier with their devices.  They would be decent devices with the Kit Kat operating system. 

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

thellmer wrote:

If/when they release a KitKat upgrade for the device, the SD card will/would become an integrated part of the tablet to be used for app or media storage and the device's OS would be less memory and less processor intensive? 

No, it won't. It will become even more sandboxed and separated.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
carol_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hi nhaack2133 and sugar_lump_01:

Please check the software version on your Ellipsis 7.

1) Go to Settings
2) Select About Tablet
3) Refer to SW Version

If the SW Version on your Ellipsis 7 tablet is:
MV7A_31D16_422  OR
MV7A_31D18_422  OR
MV7A_31D26_422

Then moving to software version MV7A_31D25_422A will enhance the available storage on your device. You are eligible for a software update on the tablet. Please call our Customer Support at 1 (800) 837-4966, and they will support you through this process. PLEASE NOTE: You will be required to ship your device for this software enhancement.

If your tablet is on MV7A_31D25_422A or MV7B_31D41_422 , then your device already has all the memory improvements and you will need to free up memory space. Please uninstall apps that are not needed and move media files to an SD card or to your PC.

0 Likes
thellmer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I work in technology and our company uses a ton of android tablets - even develops for them -  and from my own experience, tablets that were marginal or slow, for the most part, but are at least decently newer tablets,  are much better with Kit Kat - it has a smaller footprint and uses RAM more efficiently.  It has about 50% of the ram requirement of JB for any given apps.  Not all devices benefit of course, and who knows about the Ellipsis, but overall we have experienced Kit Kat to be much better for devices there were behaving marginally on JB.  The article you mentioned in the other post about SD cards does bring out some points, however without Kit Kat the SD card is practically useless on this device unless you connect it via cable.  Google Play cannot even download to it with Kit Kat, nor can you move apps there, put photos there, nothing really unless you cable it and then copy/paste these static files over there.  So yes, it really does change the way you work with SD cards in that you can finally use them with the device and not have to use a cable and USB connection to use them.  I got this tablet free for buying a new S5 day before yesterday, but with JB its pretty much a useless tablet when it could at least have some modern functionality with a newer than 3 year old OS.

0 Likes
thellmer
Enthusiast - Level 2

oops typo - meant to say even Google Music Player app can't download to the SD card WITHOUT Kit Kat. 

0 Likes
kurtlanes

I just called.  I have MV7A_31D26_422 and the rep told me that this was the latest update and I would have to purchase a new tablet to get the version MV7A_31D25_422A .  He was also unaware of any memory issues for the Ellipsis.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional information kurtlanes! I am sorry to learn that our representative on the phone was not aware of the option to have your device updated to a later software version to improve performance. We can certainly assist you further with this; however, in order to have your device software updated you must ship it for the update to be installed and this will leave you without it for a few days. If this is an option you want to proceed with, please confirm here and we'll contact you via DM to assist you further, and send you the package to ship your device.

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
ken429h
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ship it where? I'm more than willing to be without the tablet for the 2-6 weeks if the memory issues are resolved. Verizon tech support has no clue about any of the issues. SELECTIVE MEMORY LOSS on their part I guess. The Ellipsis 7 is nothing more than a portable TV for me at the moment, so I can do with out it. How do I get this thing fixed? Please call me Verizon, I know you have my number!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

ken429h wrote:

Ship it where? I'm more than willing to be without the tablet for the 2-6 weeks if the memory issues are resolved. Verizon tech support has no clue about any of the issues. SELECTIVE MEMORY LOSS on their part I guess. The Ellipsis 7 is nothing more than a portable TV for me at the moment, so I can do with out it. How do I get this thing fixed? Please call me Verizon, I know you have my number!

They don't have your phone number as this is a peer to peer community public forum. The reps don't have access to anyone's account until that person specifically gives them permission to access the account just like if you called the customer service number. So please don't post your personal information on this public forum. I believe there some instructions either earlier in this thread or in another thread on how to request the packaging and label to send in the tablet for the update and reformatting of the internal storage of the tablet. Before sending it in your should backup anything you want saved from the device and then factory reset the device.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
joe429
Enthusiast - Level 1

I finally got hold of a Verizon CSR that was able to help me. They transferred me to a Tech. Sup. rep. that was also able to help me with my problem. There is really no way for them to fix all the issues with this tablet, but they can reformat the internal memory to one contiguous partition, so you don't have to play hopscotch with your apps. This should be helpful for the people waiting out their contract to be able to get a real tablet. 

0 Likes