Ellipsis won't update
mumbojumbo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello, My wife received this as a gift and it is basically unusable with the memory bug that Verizon has verified it came with new. She has only ever used it on WiFi, and we will never have a contract on it. We do however have Verizon phone's. That said we are unable to install the available update that addresses the factory software flaws. My question is...is there no other way to update than to bring to a Verizon owned store and have them send it in ?. And if so will Verizon want some sort of fee to update a known obvious flaw..thanks

0 Likes
Re: Ellipsis won't update
Snn5
Legend

The tablet has to be updated over the Verizon network, not WiFi.  You might need to use the phone's hotspot if possible to do so.

0 Likes
mumbojumbo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks but we have limited data on our phone plan and we don't have resources to pay extra each month to use it as a hotspot. My only option is to update over WiFi. If that's not possible than Verizon should step up and offer a solution to fix a defective product. Unfortunately my past experience with them on other matters has shown them to be uncaring and unmovable in their attempt to always put profits over fairness. I guess we'll see if that's true in this case.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You might ask Verizon if the update actually counts against your use, but in your case having to use the phone's hotspot it probably would versus using enabled data on the tablet.  Perhaps a store can assist in the update at no charge.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mumbojumbo, receiving a tablet as a gift is so awesome and we want you to use it as you see fit. I understand the hesitation of using a lot of data as no one likes receiving data overage on their bill. Help is here to provide assistance on your tablet as we do care. What issues are you having? What steps have we requested that you take? 
NatashaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mumbojumbo
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's typical you answer my question with question. You know fully well the memory defect in all the Ellipsis 7 tablets and I won't explain what you already know. Please honestly answer my question.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

If you have a memory defect, I believe that would require you to actually send the tablet to Verizon for repair. 

Important Note: Memory Management

0 Likes
mumbojumbo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you Snn5 for the replies. The link was very helpful. The tablet has the original firmware with all the associated memory issues. I was hoping Verizon would give me an honest reply, that we could bring it to Verizon store and get it updated at no charge even without any type of contract or plan on it. They don't appear to willing to do that. Just typical money over fairness.

0 Likes
mumbojumbo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update. Spent some time at a Verizon store today trying to get the memory problem on the Ellipsis 7 tablet updated/fixed without success.

Verizon would not allow us to send it in for repair because it's not activated on their network. Sad that Verizon will not repair a factory defective Verizon product. This what we pay our hard earned dollars for, Zero support and Zero fairness.

Enough said.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Sounds about right.  If you aren't using a device on their network then they probably wouldn't repair it.  Same thing with a phone....I wouldn't think VZW would repair my phone if I took it to Sprint.  Having extended warranty would have had it covered though.

0 Likes