Steve_W24
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a new Ellipsis 10 and would like to send and receive texts Help please

0 Likes
Re: How do I activate text messaging?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Install the Messages + app on the tablet and on your phone; make it the default texting app.  When the tablet asks for the # to sync messages, put in your phone number.  A text with a confirmation code will be sent to your phone.  Enter that code in the dialog on the tablet.  It will then begin to sync your text messages, and that could take awhile depending on how many messages you have.

You should now be able to use the tablet to send and receive text messages using your phone number.

0 Likes
Steve_W24
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately my tablet is tied to my wife's smartphone and I prefer NOT to inherit all her texts. I was hoping I could activate messaging on the tablet independently. Looks like I may need to move up from my Samsung Convoy 3 next time we renew our plan.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the tablet already has messaging installed and is "tied" to your wife's phone number, then you are already getting all her text messages.  I'm not sure if you can have more than one instance of Messages open, with each tied to a different phone number.  What exactly do you mean by "tied" to your wife's phone?

If the messages + app is not already on the tablet, then install it and when it asks for the phone number, type in YOUR cell number.  See if it will sync the messages.  If it does, then you are good to go.

0 Likes
Steve_W24
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did as you said but my texts nor my contacts have shown up. I DID received confirmation text from Verizon. Does it matter that I do NOT have a smart phone?