How do I connect the Ellipsis 7 to my hdmi Sony Television as the Verizon store manager said I absolutely would be able to do?
bajabarbie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have spent 30 plus hours and $25 attempting to follow the Verizon store manager's instructions as to connecting the tablet to my television to watch movies... there is no other use that I have for it and specifically told him this.

I have now learned the following on my own: the Ellipsis is not hdmi, nor, mhl, nor slim port compatible. So these connections won't work.

I understand a suggestion, from a Verizon employee on this Verizon discussion board, is that an OTG to HDMI cable might work. Can someone PLEASE state exactly what cable or adapter plus cable will work to see exactly what's on the tablet screen on something larger.... like a computer screen or television. Simply hooking the charger cable to my computer merely let's me transfer saved data, like photos (which I will never have) from the tablet to the computer. This will never, ever be of use to me. Somebody at Verizon has to know the answer several of us are looking for....

Exactly what cable or cable plus adapter can we purchase to watch movies we find online and want to see on the bigger television screen? And please don't tell me to download movies and such... never going to happen.

I am not the only one asking this question....

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I connect the Ellipsis 7 to my hdmi Sony Television as the Verizon store manager said I absolutely would be able to do?
carol_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hi bajabarbie

The Ellipsis 7 now running KitKat is Chromecast capable, however you will need a Chromecast dongle. An HDMI cable is not compatible. We were sorry to read about this confusion and will respond to other relevant threads here to help clarify that an HDMI cable will not work.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: How do I connect the Ellipsis 7 to my hdmi Sony Television as the Verizon store manager said I absolutely would be able to do?
Snn5
Legend
0 Likes
carol_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hi bajabarbie

The Ellipsis 7 now running KitKat is Chromecast capable, however you will need a Chromecast dongle. An HDMI cable is not compatible. We were sorry to read about this confusion and will respond to other relevant threads here to help clarify that an HDMI cable will not work.

0 Likes
bajabarbie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Carol,

I really wish you had really read my letter thoroughly.

1 I know that the Ellipsis is not HDMI compatible

2 I know that the Ellipsis is not mhl compatible

3 I know that the Ellipsis is not slim port compatible

I learned all of this on my own.

The store manager who talked me into buying a tablet, when I already had an excellent ASUS one and was just purchasing a new phone, said that I could absolutely buy a cable at Amazon.com to connect the Ellipsis tablet to my television. AND from the many posts I have been reading on the Verizon site, many other customers were also told the same thing.

One of the Verizon employees also posted at this site that perhaps an OTG to HDMI cable might work. Can somebody with computer knowledge please answer the question exactly for all of us customers who were tricked into thinking this is a simple task?

I do not have Chromecast. That's another $36 out of my pocket. AND according to the Chromecast site, will only work with both an HDMI and USB access on the television.

I want what the store manager swore I could have.... an easy connection to movies from websites streamed directly through my big screen television. OR let's cancel this entire thing; he told me I had no contract... apparently I do.... I feel more than taken in for something I did not want.

I am going to the store once again and make him show me exactly how to connect the way he described when he talked me into this thing. If he is unable to do so, I will take further action. I have everything in writing...

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Chromecast only needs an HDMI port on the TV.  The USB power cable can be plugged into a USB port on the TV OR....into the power adapter to the wall. (just like a phone)

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

And a wireless router of course.

0 Likes
carol_vzw
Verizon Employee

Bajabarbie,

To confirm, an HDMI cable will not work it any configuration including with a OTG cable. This is why we cannot recommend one. We will be removing the misinformation that an OTG cable "might" work so that this does not cause more confusion. Thank you for your post.