My Verizon Ellipsis 7 is getting VERY hot.
MPTravels
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Verizon Ellipsis 7 is getting VERY hot, and will not connect to the internet. It was in the off position, charging overnight. This morning I disconnected the power cord, turned it on and walked away from it to get a cup of coffee while the apps loaded. When I returned to it, it was so hot it left a light gray mark around the laptop it was sitting on and was so hot to the touch I could not even touch it. Its not even a year old and is not exessively used. Truthfully, I would say use is minimal. Calling Verizon now, this feels like a serious issue. Am I missing something?

Re: My Verizon Ellipsis 7 is getting VERY hot.
Snn5
Legend

Which version of OS update are you on?

MV7A_31D16_422  OR

MV7A_31D18_422  OR

You are eligible for a software update on the tablet. Please call our Customer Support at 1 (800) 837-4966, and they will support you through this process. You will be required to ship your device for this software enhancement.

MV7A_31D26_422

MV7A_31D25_422A 

Then you are on latest update.

You might also try a factory restore as it sounds like either the battery isnt performing correctly or several apps are having an issue locking up cpu and ram.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Does it have a case on it? Was the laptop that it was sitting on powered on? Perhaps this is wishful thinking, but I've left electronics on top of each other and then kick myself later because they both create heat and then are overly hot. Unless you take ages to get a cup of coffee, that would mean your tablet got hot at the same speed that it would take a stove to heat up. Did you maybe just not feel the heat when you originally turned it on?

If you've let it sit for awhile and tried again and still are experiencing the same problem, I would have to agree at trying a factory reset; a tablet that heats as quickly as a stove is NOT normal and if it was so hot you couldn't touch it then it's a fire hazard.

Snn5
Legend

I believe I might just try a factory reset as mentioned in my first post.  Something isn't right and this would be the easiest way to rule out all manner of issues.

MPTravels
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure, It just says Verizon Ellipsis® 7 LTE on my devices tab. However Verizon customer support confirmed it is less than a year old and I should go get a new one at a factory store, so I plan on doing that this week.

MPTravels
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello MiiHere,

Yes it was wishful thinking. Smiley Happy  Nope, no case, and the laptop was not on. This tablet seems to have this as a recognized issue per my community and web searches. Fortunately for me , It is not even a year old yet and customer service confirmed I can go to a corporate store and exchange for a new one.  Which is a pain with the waiting lines around here but at least I will get a new one. Thanks for reading and posting though!

Snn5
Legend

You might wind up with either a repair of that tablet or a replacement, but i doubt a corporate store will give you a new tablet to replace a used, albeit defective tablet. 

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

A refurbished tablet is better than keeping the previous one. If it powers on I suggest you factory reset it before returning it as to remove any of your person information.

nikita1179
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same device and have been experiencing similar over-heating problems with it. I want to know what causes the problem and whether or not it is resolvable as well. Unfortunately, I haven't had success with figuring it all out as of yet.

My device is also very new, and i was excited when I got it. I had a Google Nexus tablet before this one, and in my opinion it was 100% more functional than the Ellipsis appears to be. I hope Verizon is able and willing to do what it takes to not only resolve the issues this device already has,but also to prevent these issues from repeating in the future.

Thanks, i hope .....

ari

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

nikita1179,

Look no further help is here! I completely understand how frustrating and inconvenient this has been for you.

You mentioned your tablet is over heating. When is happening? Do you notice it over heating when accessing a certain app or function on the tablet? Has there been any physical or liquid damage?

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes