Verizon ellipsis 7 hotspot & data usage
FreeSwim2004
Enthusiast - Level 2

We recently got a free Verizon ellipsis 7 with a mobile hotspot, but have been using up data with the tablet despite having the hotspot on. When I turn off the data and background data we can no longer connect to the internet on our tablet even though the hotspot is on. I guess the question is, can the tablet use it's own hotspot to connect to the internet? Or do you have to use the internet on your phone while it's connected to the hotspot in order to save data?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon ellipsis 7 hotspot & data usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the detailed explanation FreeSwim2004! Your device is working as designed. WiFi and HotSpot feature cannot run at the same time as HotSpot is intended to provide access to the internet for other devices and when you turn it on it ensures that HotSpot is the sole data provider and disables WiFi. Enabling HotSpot will incur data usage, sometimes substantial depending on how many devices are connected to it and the type of browsing/tasks those devices are doing.

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

FreeSwim2004,

We definitely want to make sure we get to the bottom of this concern. I want to make sure I am on the same page, did you purchase a tablet and a separate jetpack or hotspot device? When you turn off the data on your jetpack does it show it is connected to wifi? Does the tablet have it's own line on your account?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
FreeSwim2004
Enthusiast - Level 2

The hot spot is part of the tablet itself and it has it's own line on our account as part of the free promotion in September. If the hotspot is on, the wifi turns off and uses data but we can use the wifi on our phones from the hotspot.

>> Personal information removed to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional info FreeSwim2004! May I ask do you have airplane mode activated on the Ellipsis 7 when you are on wifi? Do you have any apps on the tablet that auto-update, which may contribute to data usage?

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
FreeSwim2004
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is not on airplane mode and works fine off of our home wifi however when the hotspot (internal) is turned on it shuts the wifi off and uses data. If we turn data off we cannot get on the internet on the tablet but can use the hotspot on our other devices. Should we be able to use the internet on the tablet from its hotspot? Turning the hotspot on at the moment turns the wifi off so we can't connect to the hotspot through wifi. I just thought when we bought a tablet with it's own hotspot that we'd be able to use the hotspot on the tablet.

>> Personal information removed to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

0 Likes
FreeSwim2004
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can still use wifi from the house with data off but with hotspot onky it runs data and not internet through its hotspot.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the detailed explanation FreeSwim2004! Your device is working as designed. WiFi and HotSpot feature cannot run at the same time as HotSpot is intended to provide access to the internet for other devices and when you turn it on it ensures that HotSpot is the sole data provider and disables WiFi. Enabling HotSpot will incur data usage, sometimes substantial depending on how many devices are connected to it and the type of browsing/tasks those devices are doing.

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
FreeSwim2004
Enthusiast - Level 2

So other devices using the hotspot will incur data as well? I thought the point of the hotspot was so that we wouldn't use data because it provided wifi. Thank you for your time and explanation. The person in the store told us we would use less data because we could even use the hitspot for GPS so we  totally misunderstood. Thank you for taking the time. Now that we understand that the hotspot only works for other devices and that they may still use data we should use a whole lot less!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

FreeSwim2004,

Great questions. We want to make sure that we are on the same page. When the other devices are using your mobile hotspot, they will not be using their data. They will be using your data. This will take away from your data allotment. So while you may not be using your phone data for yourself anyone that is aware of your hotspot and logged into it can use your data. I hope this clears up any confusion there maybe.

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
FreeSwim2004
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought a hotspot was wifi, why does it use data? I guess I don't get the purpose of having a hotspot if it uses our data. I can use data on my phone....