When can we get external memory to SD card on Ellipsis 7?
SYL3910
Enthusiast - Level 2

2 years have passed since people started voicing their displeasure with the memory issues on the Ellipsis 7 and Verizon has not responded to our exasperation with this .   We were told (part of their sales pitch) that we can expand memory with an SD card which we go out and buy only to find that we can NOT move pics, music or apps to the SD card.   We shouldn't have to know how to root (whatever that is) or go through a PC either.   I've heard the term "kit Kat" as another way to fix this, BUT we should not be required to be I.T. EXPERTS just to transfer stuff to an SD card.   Why doesn't Verizon issue an update?   It is sooo past due.  

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When can we get external memory to SD card on Ellipsis 7?
Snn5
Legend

Native means:  the tablet came with it.

Apparently the Ellipsis 7 does not come with a native file manager, why?  I have no idea.

This is a very popular file manager:  ES File Explorer File Manager - Android Apps on Google Play

It will allow you to copy files from the internal to your SD card.

No rooting at all.

Remember, you can move most anything except system files and apps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Kit Kat was the name of the Android Verison of Operating System the tablet runs on.  Apps cannot be moved to SD on any version of Android from KitKat and up.  As far as why you cannot move music and media etc to the SD card, that's strange.  Can you not download a file explorer app if you have no native file manager to move your files to and from?

0 Likes
SYL3910
Enthusiast - Level 2

What do you mean by native file manager and how do I know if I have it?

What is a file explorer app? Is simply downloading the app allow me to

move music to the SD card? Or is rooting required? I have an 8 gig SD

card with 7.35 gigs available.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Native means:  the tablet came with it.

Apparently the Ellipsis 7 does not come with a native file manager, why?  I have no idea.

This is a very popular file manager:  ES File Explorer File Manager - Android Apps on Google Play

It will allow you to copy files from the internal to your SD card.

No rooting at all.

Remember, you can move most anything except system files and apps.

0 Likes
SYL3910
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried downloading the app and get message that I have insufficient space

on the device.

0 Likes
SYL3910
Enthusiast - Level 2

HELP. . . . . . Cleared data & disabled some apps and was able to download

the file manager app. HOWEVER, error message reads "your system forbids

ES from writing on external SD card(check

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=67570), so ES can only

write on it after rooted".

How do I do this? Can someone at a Verizon store handle that? I read in

the posts that rooting takes the device out of warranty. This is really

a catch 22. Help! Help! Help!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Do NOT root.  Take the tablet to a corporate store and have them walk you through it.  There is something we missed here in the file copy process apparently because there should be no reason for a tablet to have an external SD slot that cannot be used.

kparsons

Yeah I have 3 of the same tablets and you can load an SD card but you can't store ANYTHING on it. I've never had this problem with any other devices

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I have heard this a lot before, and it still makes no sense why include an SD slot when you cannot utilize the card.  I have yet to find a good reason to recommend any Verizon tablet over buying an LG, Samsung, or other tablet straight from Google Play or from a reputable retailer.  Even the Motorola Xoom tablets had issues of all types.  Maybe Verizon has restrictions of some sort on their tablets.

0 Likes