2 iPhones -- Why are only some messages showing up?
merubin75

Hi folks,

I have a peculiar situation I'm hoping someone can help me with.

• I have two iPhones with Message+ installed.
  • Let's call them HOME1 and WORK1.
  • WORK1 has my HOME1 number set in the preferences.
  • That way, my hope is that I can send/receive SMS people send to my home # on my work phone instead as an auto-forward.

Here's what's strange: only a few messages come through. It seems completely random.

• My wife and my sister will send SMS to my HOME1 number and they will come through just fine in Message+ on  WORK1.
  • I've asked a few co-workers to send me SMS messages as a test and none of them have come through.
  • Meanwhile, anti-fraud SMS from my bank and password resets have come through fine.

Anyone know why this is happening? Why would only some SMS messages come through on Message+ but not others?

At your service,

Michael

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 2 iPhones -- Why are only some messages showing up?
rcschnoor
Legend

They do work with both, but an iPhone will only send a message in one form. If the iPhone "thinks" your device is enrolled in iMessage it will only send the message as an iMessage and if you do not have iMessage activated on your device you will not receive it.

Try going to the following link and follow the directions.

Deregister and Turn Off iMessage - Apple Support

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

You stated these are iPhones... (and as far as Iknow, iPhones are the only way you can have Messages+ working on two phones as you are doing).  Are the people whose messages you are not receiving sending them as text messages or as iMessages?  If they are using iMessaging, then it will not show up on the Messages + app.

0 Likes
merubin75

Good question. I don't know what format they're sending them. Before when I used the iMessages app, I didn't have to care if they were sending iMessages or SMS.

FWIW, I turned off iMessages in the Settings of the iPhones. Does that help?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Apple does not play well with others. If you used to use iMessage and it is now turned off in settings, your co-workers iPhones(if that is what they are using) may STILL think you are using iMessage and are trying to send them as such. Do the messages on your co-workers say the messages failed? Do you have other Apple devices signed up for iMessage with your Apple userid? Have you checked to see if those messages are being received by those devices?

If you don't have other Apple devices set up with iMessage using your Apple userid, the iMessages system will eventually reset your iMessage address on your co-workers phones and will start being sent out as SMS. This has always been a problem for people changing from iMessage to straight SMS/MMS.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Merubin75, you are certainly taking a proactive step to get those messages working smoothly. Ensuring that you reach exactly that point, are the messages that you do receive from other iPhones? Do both phones have iMessage enabled?

LorenB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
merubin75

The only messages that are coming through are from people using Android devices. The only folks who can't seem to get through are using iPhones.

I'm a little confused. There are so many people using iPhones, it seems rather complicated to have to ask if they're using iMessages or not. Why doesn't the app work with both?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

They do work with both, but an iPhone will only send a message in one form. If the iPhone "thinks" your device is enrolled in iMessage it will only send the message as an iMessage and if you do not have iMessage activated on your device you will not receive it.

Try going to the following link and follow the directions.

Deregister and Turn Off iMessage - Apple Support

0 Likes