AIM, Yahoo Usage Question
jshabouk

All,

I am new to the boards, but have found lots of useful info in the last day.  I am receiving my new Droid X tomorrow and want to set it up over the weekend.  I signed up for the Nationwide Talk & Text Plan (which includes unlimited messages).  However, do IMs (over AIM, Yahoo) use TXT messages or data (via apps) on these phones?  If there are apps that use data, I can probably switch to the Nationwide talk and save some money each month without the unlimited text feature.  Please let me know as I have found conflicting viewpoints on the boards.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: AIM, Yahoo Usage Question
budone
Legend

I believe IM's use texts.

0 Likes
jshabouk

I know that if I use Verizon's Mobile Im program, it will, but are there apps in the Droid Marketplace that will use data to send IMs over these systems????

Thanks,

Joe

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Not that I am aware of

0 Likes
wushu2004
Contributor - Level 2

It's all data.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

jshabouk wrote:

All,

I am new to the boards, but have found lots of useful info in the last day.  I am receiving my new Droid X tomorrow and want to set it up over the weekend.  I signed up for the Nationwide Talk & Text Plan (which includes unlimited messages).  However, do IMs (over AIM, Yahoo) use TXT messages or data (via apps) on these phones?  If there are apps that use data, I can probably switch to the Nationwide talk and save some money each month without the unlimited text feature.  Please let me know as I have found conflicting viewpoints on the boards.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Great choice of a phone by the way.When you use the built in mobile IM it goes towards messaging only.It should at least. Each IM/sent received counts as one text. However there are apps available in the market like HI AIM that only uses data & not messaging. The HI AIM app is free in the market. I have used it before & it works well.  There is also HI Yahoo app. That is free and also only uses data. Not used towards messaging.

0 Likes
TOWMAN03

Joe, If you have a Droid X do NOT load Yahoo Instant Messenger app. It will cause your Droid X major problems. Lock up, Slow way down, You will need to do battery pulls all the time. Read the reviews on the app. I'm on my 5th Droid X and Verizon has no idea about the problem. They just kept sending out new phones. Good luck! ....Marty

0 Likes