Are you pushing customers away from using Verizon online Messaging??
DJDRD

Concerning your Verizon online messaging webpage. It makes no sense to have a pin sent to you in order to use this site... First off me and a few other customers work in a secure government building where we can't bring in our phones, so we use this site. Why would you set it up for the pin to be sent to your phone which most people already use the test message app on? I wouldn't need to use the website if I had my phone. Secondly if we get the pin sent to our personal email assigned to the account, we now have to sign on to another application to use your web site. Are you trying to tell folks not to use your site, it takes additional time to sign in and use your site when I've been using my user name and password. This process is a hindrance versus making a site better to use for customers. Can someone fix this process.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Are you pushing customers away from using Verizon online Messaging??
Weth
Legend

Two factor authentication - you will be seeing more of it. And while less convenient, it is definitely more secure.

0 Likes
DJDRD

So basically Verizon is not to secure if I have to sign in with more than a user name and password on their site and have to get information from a third party application to sign in to use Verizon's website... Which means I don't need to use Verizon website in the first place.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

That is exactly the point. By having a separate way to confirm identity, it increases security. It is not perfect, but it is better than 1 factor authentication - username and password. If someone was able to hack your password and get into your account, you would scream bloody murder. This protects you and Verizon. Of course Verizon does it because it protects them from data breaches and lawsuits, but there is benefit for you too.

Any security that just relies on username and password is not too secure.

Two-factor authentication: What you need to know (FAQ) - CNET

0 Likes
DJDRD

We can go back and forth on this. That is what I do for a living and the two factor could be done in a better fashion. With that said neither works for me when I have to leave my office to go outside to get information to sign-on.  So basically I will no longer be using Verizon if this is the best they can do for me. Once again their security is not up to par. I could explain how to set up two factor that doesn't involve every time I sign-on using someone else's application. 

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Well considering I do not work for Verizon, and I am just a customer like you it would do no good anyway. They chose the method they chose. It is worthwhile to complain to improve the process, but it will not change very quickly. The beauty of free market - if it doesn't work for you move on.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

DJDRD wrote:

I could explain how to set up two factor that doesn't involve every time I sign-on using someone else's application. 

The two factor authorization for online messaging doesn't need to be performed every time you sign on, simply the first time. I did this over a year ago and haven't had to authorize from my phone again since. I simply sign in to my account regularly now with userid and password.

0 Likes