Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Can I disable text messaging while traveling internationally?
drstrangewogg

I am going to use data while I'm in Europe so my phone will be on and I want to prevent any texts from folks back home from jacking up my bill.  Looks like I can set multimedia to not auto retrieve but is there a way to prevent SMS as well?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Can I disable text messaging while traveling internationally?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support
Hello drstrangewogg!

Great question on blocking text messaging while overseas.  If you have an iPhone you can turn on iMessaging in Settings, Messages. When iMessage is used to send and receive text messages, the message color will be blue. If it is green, you are not in iMessaging and could be charged for messaging if you are on a pay as you go for messaging. 

A safe way to stop any text messaging from being sent or received is to contact Customer Service at 800-922-0204 and ask that we block text messaging during the time of your trip. It is free.

Another suggestion is putting your phone in airplane mode. Here is a link to Global Support if you need us when overseas: http://vz.to/1xqB82D.

Have a safe and wondrous trip!

LauraD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

Snn5
Sr. Leader

To my knowledge, you cannot disable the cellular radio (SMS calls) you can only airplane mode to disable all radios (WiFi can be turned back on) or disable Mobile Data.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support
Hello drstrangewogg!

Great question on blocking text messaging while overseas.  If you have an iPhone you can turn on iMessaging in Settings, Messages. When iMessage is used to send and receive text messages, the message color will be blue. If it is green, you are not in iMessaging and could be charged for messaging if you are on a pay as you go for messaging. 

A safe way to stop any text messaging from being sent or received is to contact Customer Service at 800-922-0204 and ask that we block text messaging during the time of your trip. It is free.

Another suggestion is putting your phone in airplane mode. Here is a link to Global Support if you need us when overseas: http://vz.to/1xqB82D.

Have a safe and wondrous trip!

LauraD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
drstrangewogg

thanks fir the speedy responses!

0 Likes
drstrangewogg

That should be FOR, not FIR!

0 Likes