Re: Can’t receive calls on my IPad with Messages+ unless I’ve just used it
ahung12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello OP, no need to waste your time with VZW Tech Support.  Not sure why since they've already taken your money, but they are not being honest with you. 

I am having the exact same issue as you with my IPP 10.5 with LTE.  Texts in and out are fine, calls going out whenever I need.  Calls only ring IN if I have the app running, or if I very recently closed the device (close smart cover, or locked it with the power button within about 5 minutes).  If the app isn't running or I have locked it more than 5 minutes ago, the IPP will not register the incoming call. 

I just spent a total of 45 minutes with VZW tech support on the phone. The gist of it, Message+ does not function 100% the way it is advertised or described by Verizon.  Specifically, paraphrasing the VZW tech support rep: "You aren't guaranteed to receive calls on iPads, because they are not designed with calling capabilities."  Despite 3 (perhaps more) instances on VZW's own website describing Message+ as giving compatible devices the ability to make AND RECEIVE calls.  No caveats, no disclaimers, no "not guaranteed" verbiage anywhere. 

From the FAQ page (Verizon Messages (Message+) FAQs | Verizon Wireless )

"What is Calling on Verizon Messages (Message+)?

Calling on Verizon Messages (Message+) lets you make and receive voice or video calls on your tablet, and voice calls from compatible smartwatches, all using your smartphone's mobile number. They can be made over Wi-Fi or your cellular network."

"How do I know if my device is compatible with Verizon Messages (Message+)?

Verizon Messages (Message+) supports most Verizon Android and Apple® phones and tablets. To check if your phone or tablet is supported:

Open the app store on your device (e.g. Play Store, App Store, etc.).

Tap the Search field.

Enter "Verizon Messages."

If "Verizon Messages" or "Message+" is listed in the search results, your device is supported. If one of those isn't listed, the app isn't supported on your device.  (obviously, our iPads are supported)"

From the Message+ page specifically for Apple devices (How to Use Verizon Messages (Message+) on Apple Devices | Verizon Wireless )

"To enable Calling for iPad:

Confirm you have HD Voice on your phone line.

Download or update the Verizon Messages (Message+) app from the Apple App Store. You may have to follow the onscreen instructions to link the iPad to your smartphone. For step-by-step instructions, go to the Set Up Verizon Messages section.

Provide your emergency address when prompted.* This location will be given to emergency services if you dial 911 from your iPad in case of an emergency. See the Emergency Address section in our FAQs for additional information.

You can now make and receive calls on your iPad. Repeat steps 1-3 for each tablet you want to connect to your smartphone. You can connect up to 5 tablets total."

The tech support rep did try to sell me on Samsung Frontier Watches, Apple Watches and other "wearable tech" that is supposedly supported. 

rdw52
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your confirmation of this issue, and, especially, for exposing all of Verizon's false advertising.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're very sorry to hear that you've been experiencing this issue for such a long time, rdw52. It sounds like you're doing everything correctly. Apple does have some strict guidelines on apps running in the background for battery life protection, so it's possible that the way the application is programmed for iOS is the cause of this particular quirk.  You can learn more about this here: https://apple.co/2pyikUg However, I'll send this complaint up to the IT Team and have them check with the app developers to see if this is working as intended, or if there's a fix that can be implemented. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Eric_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes