Can't receive international SMS
Sergey
Enthusiast - Level 2

For some reason I don't receive international SMS. Particularly from Russia. The funny thing that my correspondents receive my SMS but I don't receive from them. Is it known issue? Does somebody experience the same?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can't receive international SMS
Sergey
Enthusiast - Level 2

It turns that this is common issue with VZW. I and my coworkers have switched to VZW and all face this issue with not receiving SMS from abroad. We can't receive messages from abroad but sending is OK. Confirmed countries is Russia, India and Taiwan. But I'm pretty sure that it is true for any countries.  The carriers are listed on VZW International Messaging site page as supported. We have company phones. The ability to receive SMS from abroad is important for business. Does somebody from VZW read this forum? Any comments or suggestions? We all have Droid 3 phones. 

ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Sergey,

Sending international texts to Russia requies a specific dialing pattern. Since you are having success in sending messages to Russia, I'm sure you are aware that sending a message to this country requires the following dialing pattern:

011+7+10 digit number

The person sending a message to you may not be using the correct dialing pattern. For the correct information, they should contact their wireless carrier, as they may be using an incorrect dialing pattern. I am sorry but I do not have the information for a customer of a carrier who is abroad and how they would send text messages to you. I have references on how you (or other Verizon Wireless customers) would send an international message from a Verizon Wireless phone. 

Some countries have restrictions on the ability to send an international message as well. Even though they are receiving your messages, they may not be able to send a message to the US. 

Please advise the parties that you are sending to that they should check with their wireless carrier, to see if they have the ability to send to a US number. They should also make sure that the dialing pattern they are using is correct. 

Here is a link to our international website, for future reference. 

http://www.vzw.com/international

I hope this information is helpful and addresses your concerns about international messaging. 

0 Likes
Sergey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

My correspondents use +1(xxx)xxx-xxxx dialing pattern since they are on GSM network. I don't believe that something is wrong from their side since when we were on AT&T we had no issues with receiving SMSes from them. It becomes issue after we have switched to VZW. One of my coworkers is still on AT&T (not switched yet) and he is able to receive SMS from the same people.

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Sergey,

I do understand receiving text is very important.  Have you ever received international sms from the friends/family you are referring to?  Is this intermittent or constant.  If you are still experiencing this please PM me with your name, mobile number, the international number(s) and the numbers of the other Droid 3 users so I may further assist.  Thank you.      

0 Likes
SSareen

I upgraded to iPhone in June and since then I can't send or receive texts to India or Dubai. I had no problem with my Blackberry with the same carrier. Called Tech support and was told that Apple knows about the problem and they are working on it. It is very frustrating.

0 Likes
WalterChen

I can't receive message from Taiwan, too. I am using Motorola Droid, and my friend is using HTC.
It's okay to send out the message, but none of reply get to me.

I can msg by Tmobile or ATT, but not by Verizon. Please advise. 

0 Likes
pctower

I have the same problem with Ukraine. I can send sms but not receive. Did not have problem when I was using Blackberry and vzw. Swithched to Android 2 global, and now have the problem. Nothing changed with the phone my friend in Ukraine was using. We tried a second phone of a family member of hers and it could not sms to me either. Have talked to Verizon about this and they have been of no assistance.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Pctower, I can appreciate the inconvenience you are having with international text messaging. Text messaging is a vital form of communication especially with people in foreign lands. Since you have switched phones, have you been able to receive international text messages from any one else in any other country? Do you have trouble receiving domestic text messages? Are you having any other device issues?

Have you tried to reprogram your phone? If not here are the steps to do so: dial *228 hit send> choose option 1.

An alternative option would be to program your blackberry on the account> test with the Ukraine> then reprogram with Droid 2> then retest with Ukraine and Droid 2.

You can program the phone by going here; http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/profile/

You will see "activate new phone." Click on the link and follow the steps.

Taking these measures will resolve your issue. I hope this helps.

Thanks.

SammuelP_VZW

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
damini

same issue here - for more than a year now! can you look up my #??

thanks

0 Likes