Chat vs SMS/MMS
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

I need a specific and official clarification from Verizon.  Messages sent as "chat" do they count against data plans or are the counted as unlimited text and picture messaging?  If they're counted as data then I need to know how to have that disabled on my account so that 100% of all messages I sent are sent using SMS/MMS.

So let's hear from a Verizon employee, [Removed] so maybe the can actually answer a post with an official reply.

discussing moderation removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Chat vs SMS/MMS
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

Well I got it.  Folks, here's the official reply:

I then pressed Kimberly, telling her I wanted the chat option disabled so that all my messages went out as SMS/MMS per my contract, I got this:

[Removed]

So she says she understands and yet she tells me to disable the application. She clearly doesn't understand because Verizon doesn't allow us to uninstall the app.  It's forced on us, it wastes space on OUR devices, and their techs clearly don't understand that.

chat transcription and discussion of moderation removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

When I pointed out that I have unlimited SMS/MMS they came back with:

[Removed]

Except there's one MAJOR flaw in her thought process.  My LG V20 came with Verizon Message+ preinstalled and configured as the DEFAULT messaging app.  That's on Verizon, NOT me or other customers.  I believe it is the default, preinstalled messaging app on most Android devices Verizon sells.

chat transcription removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

And they updated their terms of service for Message+ on 1/28/17 but I don't believe any of us were presented with an new EULA therefore I don't believe it's legally binding.

0 Likes
splat10

I agree the update sucks.  You can disable it which is the same as uninstalling it except the file is still there.  Just long press on the icon to app info.  Then uninstall updates, and then after they're installed you can disable app. 

If you want to eliminate the chat feature you can click delete account.  It won't back up messages to the server and you can't use it across multiple devices but it will revert to all sms

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

Don't placate them.  Disable is NOT anywhere near the same as uninstalling.  That the app and all its hooks remain proves it. In fact, I disable most of Verizon's bloatware and yet I find them running all the time and have to Force Stop them again.

As for eliminating the chat garbage, I shouldn't have to delete my sms messages to dump chat and go back to receiving ALL messages over SMS/MMS.  That's the entire point.  Verizon has created a system they have thus far NOT documented at all.  We have ZERO idea what security they're using, if any, whether they can or do read our messages (which I would bet is highly likely given they already spy on SMS conversations, just read the Privacy Policy).  They appear to have ZERO fallback measures if one has been forced into the chat system but do not have a data connection, only a 1x connection which SMS works on just fine but chat does NOT.

In the end, Verizon support has been inundated with calls for the past 4 days all day long.  Even 2nd and 3rd tier support reps are fielding these calls.  Let's not excuse away their design flaws, let's demand they give us a decent app that doesn't violate our privacy (remember you have ZERO way to see what your public profile is, no way to manage it, make it private, restrict who can see it, etc...), etc... They broke something that didn't need fixed to try to compete with Apple and to charge customers for MMS messages and stupid voice calls that exactly no one should make with an undocumented app.  Anyone who wants to make secure calls should use Signal, Wire, or one of the other well documented and peer reviewed apps.  If you don't care about security, just use Skype.

CrystalusAurora

This is actually really simple. Go to settings, advanced settings, and unclick "Enable chat". Hope this helps!

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

So we're clear, this did NOT exist until 6.4.5 that was released essentially TWO FULL WEEKS after 6.4.1 and does not appear to disable the public profile.  If you make the HUGE mistake of entering your information in the public profile your information will still be visible to ANY Message+ user, including anyone using it for nefarious purposes.

That Verizon has still yet to document anything about the app, how it's chat feature works or encrypts (or doesn't encrypt) communications should suggest to everyone that you think long and hard before using it.