Contact phone type shows as symbols
BigAlK

Contact phone type (e.g. Home, Fax, etc) displays as unreadable symbols rather than text in Verizon Messages on my Moto G4 Plus.  Screenshot attached.  How do I fix this?

I see this asked in 2 other posts.  Both issues were also on a Moto G4 but so far the issues have not been resolved.

Screenshot is attached.

Screenshot_20170809-081333.png

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Contact phone type shows as symbols
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I rely on my messages to keep me connected and definitely want to make sure your messages are working correctly to keep you connected, BigAIK. Let's take a closer look into your device. Please make sure your app is up to date. When did this start? Do you have this issue when looking at contacts for calls?

DanielleR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BigAlK

Yes the app is up to date. I tried reinstalling, no update is available, but the issue persists.

I first noticed this soon after installing the app for the first time. I cannot confirm but it probably started immediately upon installation.

I do not have this issue when looking at contacts for calls. Two new screenshots attached of the VZ Roadside Assistance contact

* In my phone and contacts app I see that the # listed is of type “Mobile”

* In the Verizon Messages app on my Moto G4 the type is all symbols

Also of interest - in the Verizon Messages app on my PC the type for VZ Roadside Assistance is correctly listed as “Mobile”, so this appears to be a problem specific to Verizon Messages on my Moto G4.

Alan

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am glad to know that the numbers listed on your computer shows correctly. Can you provide what software version of the application is installed. Please clarify which device you have the Moto G Play, Moto G?

TionnaB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BigAlK

Software version is Message+ 6.4.39. Screenshot attached.

I am using the Moto G4 Plus 64GB. It is updated with the latest software and Android 7.0. Screenshot attached.

Alan

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for clarifying your device make/model, BigAIK. It’s also great to hear that you’re using the latest software update. Does this behavior continue in safe mode? To restart in safe mode, press and hold the power button until the menu displays, then press and hold Restart until prompted to restart in Safe Mode. Let us know if this helps.

JosephE_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
BigAlK

Regarding “Does this behavior continue in safe mode?”

Verizon Messages will not load in safe mode. When I try I get the message “Downloaded app disabled in Safe mode”. See attached screenshot.

Alan

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate all of your efforts BigAIK. If you try using the native text messaging app that came pre-installed on the phone are you having the same trouble? This will help us determine if the issue is with the app or the messaging on your phone.

RashadM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
BigAlK

The native messaging app (Android messages) works fine. It correctly displays the contact phone number type.

Screenshot attached.

Sent from my mobile device

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BigAlK,

Thanks for those details, as it certainly is unusual  to see symbols such as that. Normally they appear when a device does not have the required font to display that text, and it certainly looks like that's what happened here. It would be best to reach out to the app developer themselves, as they can make sure their next update will correct this. You can find their contact info on the Play Store page where you view Verizon Messages.

RussellM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes