Data Usage?
OddLawnGnome

I just checked my account and it says that I've used nearly 2mb (pay as you go) of data, 1mb on the 5th and one on the 6th. However, the first time was while I was at work and the second was at 4am while I was sleeping. So I haven't been using it, I haven't conciously used any features that would require data usage just calling and texting. In fact I wasn't even on my phone at the times these charges occured.

Since I don't have or want a data plan and am getting charged for data I am not using, how do I stop this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data Usage?
risu
Contributor - Level 3

You will be charged 1.99 per mb if you don't have a data plan.

If you don't want these charges, then I'd suggest putting a vcast and mobile web block on your phone through My Verizon.  You can do this by adding the blocks under the features section.  Here's the list of blocks available:

Block Ringback Tone Purchase
V CAST Music Block
Block Mobile Web 
Block V CAST Video Clips
Block Application Downloads 

These all will cost you $0 per month to add them and if you put 'em in place, you shouldn't have to worry about unexpected data charges.  If you have multiple lines, you'll have to add these to each line, I think.

Message Edited by risu on 06-08-2009 12:16 PM
0 Likes
OddLawnGnome
Thanks. I blocked that so it will hopefully stop any accidental charges but I'm still confused as to why the phone was using data by itself at 4am... my best guess is some kind of automatic update program running in the background.
0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Keep in mind the times listed on the usage details section are only an estimate. Often times they are 2-4 hours behind the actual time they were used. For example I once purchased a GIN game around 6pm and viewing it online it said it was purchased at 930pm. Quite a different time!

What's the point of having the date/time listed if it's going to be wrong???

Oh Verizon, such a tumultuous relationship we have.

0 Likes
birdsong

risu wrote:

You will be charged 1.99 per mb if you don't have a data plan.

If you don't want these charges, then I'd suggest putting a vcast and mobile web block on your phone through My Verizon.  You can do this by adding the blocks under the features section.  Here's the list of blocks available:

Block Ringback Tone Purchase
V CAST Music Block
Block Mobile Web 
Block V CAST Video Clips
Block Application Downloads 

These all will cost you $0 per month to add them and if you put 'em in place, you shouldn't have to worry about unexpected data charges.  If you have multiple lines, you'll have to add these to each line, I think.

Message Edited by risu on 06-08-2009 12:16 PM

is it only possible to put a block on the services from the primary account 

can't seem to do it in My Verizon using my phone # - unable to find a

features section

sorry brand new to a mobile phone and would really appreciate your help 

many thanks ~ shelia

0 Likes
risu
Contributor - Level 3

You'll need the Account Owner to log into their My Verizon account and make the feature changes for you.  If you're listed as an Account Manager on the account, you can give Customer Service a call and they can make the changes for you without the Account Owner being involved.

0 Likes