Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
Double data and tethering
hahne

If I get the double data promotion and do not choose tethering, can I later add tethering for $20 and keep the double data? Or does it revert to whatever tiers are available at that time? Can I turn on tethering for a partial month when I am on a trip and then turn it off, without affecting my data plan?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Double data and tethering
Not applicable

Hi hahne:

Disclosure: I'm addressing this question using the available billing codes. This could change if/when the double data promo expires.

The answer to your question is complex because the double data promo involves a code that is combined with the mobile hotspot.  To clarify, there isn't 2 separate codes that are added onto the account to get access for the mobile hotspot (one for double data 4GB and another for mobile hotspot 2GB $20).  Instead there is only 1 6GB code including mobile hotspot for $50. If/when the promotion for double data retires, those codes will no longer be available.

So when it comes time to add the tethering feature after the promotion expires, we have to add one code to grant access to the mobile hotspot service along with data service on the device itself.  To add the code that gives the access to both services, we must first remove the old code (double data 4GB plan for $30).  Once we remove that code which is now retired, we can't get it back.   

So in essence, if you have plans to add the tethering feature, it's best to act now because you'll likely not be able to keep the service once the promo ends and the billing code is retired. 

Disclosure again: This is addressed from similar scenarios in the past and a working knowledge of how retired codes work. It may change, but just to be safe, I suggest adding it now. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I am sure the data plan would remain intact. But PM one of the reps on here and ask them, then post their response in this thread of all to see and learn from

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi hahne:

Disclosure: I'm addressing this question using the available billing codes. This could change if/when the double data promo expires.

The answer to your question is complex because the double data promo involves a code that is combined with the mobile hotspot.  To clarify, there isn't 2 separate codes that are added onto the account to get access for the mobile hotspot (one for double data 4GB and another for mobile hotspot 2GB $20).  Instead there is only 1 6GB code including mobile hotspot for $50. If/when the promotion for double data retires, those codes will no longer be available.

So when it comes time to add the tethering feature after the promotion expires, we have to add one code to grant access to the mobile hotspot service along with data service on the device itself.  To add the code that gives the access to both services, we must first remove the old code (double data 4GB plan for $30).  Once we remove that code which is now retired, we can't get it back.   

So in essence, if you have plans to add the tethering feature, it's best to act now because you'll likely not be able to keep the service once the promo ends and the billing code is retired. 

Disclosure again: This is addressed from similar scenarios in the past and a working knowledge of how retired codes work. It may change, but just to be safe, I suggest adding it now. 

0 Likes