Droid Bionic will only send texts after shutdown and restart
Chadx
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had my Droid Bionic for a few days now. So far, besides it occasionally restarting itself after a Power Off, I love it. My main issue is with outbound texts. I've done a fair amount of trouble shooting and looked for solutions online so far.

Issue: Inbound texts always work correctly. Outbound texts hang and don't send until I power off the phone and then power on. All unsent outbound texts will then send immediately and arrive at their destination. If I then attempt to send another text, whether that be immediately or hours later, that text will not send. It will sit there as an unsent text until I restart the phone.

My Troubleshooting:

I though it might be related to various settings, so I played around a lot with turning off 4G/LTE (since I"m only in a 3G area), various battery saving modes (default, performance, etc.), and anything else I could think of. Nothing made a difference. I then did a factory reset (even though I knew I would lose all the changes I'd made, I had to try it to fix the text issue). It worked for a while. I could power on the phone send texts. Let it sit. Later send more texts. About 1/2 day later, it reverted to NOT sending texts until I did a restart. I pulled the battery and, again, that fixed the issue for a few hours, but it then reverted back to only sending texts if I powered down and restarted the phone.

I can't keep a phone that needs to be power cycled every time I want to send a text.

Anyone else experience this or think of anything else for me to try?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Bionic will only send texts after shutdown and restart
Chadx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update: Verizon Tier 2 (or 3?) determined the original activation could not be completed and authorized the replacement of the SIM card as a first step to solve the problems rather than the entire Bionic.

I stopped into the local Verizon store and they replaced the SIM card and started a new Activation process. The phone and texting nearly immediately worked (which made me hopeful that my original hanging outbound text issue was resolved). It took about 3 hours for the activation to complete and the data channel (only 3G available in my area) to begin working.

I played around with the phone last night and today and so far, everyting seems to be working correctly including my original text issue. I'll (again) go through and setup the phone and start using it daily and post an update in the future, but am hopeful that the issue was resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Chadx
Enthusiast - Level 2

To clarify, this is outbound SMS (text only, no attached image) and not a picture text (MMS).

Update 1: I just get off the phone with Tier 2 support at verizon. They authorized a phone exchange. After troubleshooting, he suspects it is not actively connecting when I click send on an outbound text message. This because all the queued texts will send when I power off then on the phone and it first connects, flushing the queue of all pending text sends.

Update 2:  The verizon phone rep had given me an appt. to return/exchange the phone. I spent 1.5 hours at the Verizon store. I went there and they started going through my account, but they couldn't exchange it because their system wouldn't let them because there was something hung up and pending on my account that they couldn't interupt. Most of my wait time was them on the phone with Tech Support. It turns out the phone didn't complete it's Activation process correctly and completely. This is something they say they can no longer do manually with 4G phones; the phones do it all "automatically" and it's been driving them crazy because it causes so many issues.

So now I have a ticket number because Verizon tech support couldn't work it so tech support sent it to their tech support (their words, but I assume just one tier higher). It was Friday afternoon so I've had to wait until today to follow up, which I will and then update.

According to them, they hope my issue will be resolved when the Activation fully completes. If not, they will exchange the phone. As mentioned, the reason they didn't just go ahead and exchange it then was because the system wouldn't let them until this activation ran through the system.

So it's now been 6 days since I've had the phone and still can't really use it and haven't given my new number to any friends/contacts. Glad I still have my old phone and account for the time being. I usually enjoy getting new technology and toys, but as I walked out of the Verizon store Friday, I said outloud "Isn't this supposed to be fun?!"   So far, I've had to make several 1 hour calls during work (and make up that time) and then Friday leave two hours early (and make up the time) to go to the only open appt. they had at the Verizon store. And I still have the same phone and same issue. Really hopeful the Authentication fixes the problem and I don't have to spend more time and expense driving to the store.

By the way, other than this issue, I still LOVE this phone. I just wish I could fully roll over to it and start using it.

0 Likes
Chadx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update: Verizon Tier 2 (or 3?) determined the original activation could not be completed and authorized the replacement of the SIM card as a first step to solve the problems rather than the entire Bionic.

I stopped into the local Verizon store and they replaced the SIM card and started a new Activation process. The phone and texting nearly immediately worked (which made me hopeful that my original hanging outbound text issue was resolved). It took about 3 hours for the activation to complete and the data channel (only 3G available in my area) to begin working.

I played around with the phone last night and today and so far, everyting seems to be working correctly including my original text issue. I'll (again) go through and setup the phone and start using it daily and post an update in the future, but am hopeful that the issue was resolved.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
I hope it's all working for you - thanks for keeping the community informed of the progress and outcomes. and thanks for your patience with the "new" technology! People tend to get frustrated quickly and give up before a resolution is found, so it's refreshing to read your story.

I hope all it is is(was) turns out to be a goofy activation sequence on the original setup and that all is well now.
0 Likes