Duplicate entries for same iPad appear under "Manage Devices"
milehiguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've noticed that duplicate entries appear for the same device under the "Manage Devices" option.  They are for my old iPad 2, which is connected to Message+.  I'm thinking that this may be contributing to a few of the problems I've begun to see while using the app - i.e. incorrect iOS counters (badges?), etc.

Anyway, for a variety of reasons over the past couple of months, I've disconnected my iPad from integrated messaging, uninstalled/reinstalled the app and have also renamed my iPad a time or two.  The 3 entries (for the same iPad) with the option to "Disconnect" adjacent to each, appear as follows:

RS-iPad

RL-iPad-2

RL-iPad-2

I've attempted to remove the rogue entries (the first two listed above, I believe), by choosing to "Disconnect" them, but they continue to reappear.  I'm using iOS 9.2 on my iPad and Message+ version 2.0.7, though the problem doesn't appear to be specific to any particular version of iOS or Message+ release.

I'm afraid if I disconnect all 3 of these entries, uninstall/reinstall the app, and connect the iPad again, etc., I'll end up with a 4th entry for the same device!  How can I remove the rogue entries?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Duplicate entries for same iPad appear under "Manage Devices"
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get to the bottom of this dupilcate message mystery asap. For clarification purposes, are you logged into multiple apple devices using the same apple id?
NicholeK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
milehiguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Nichole, thanks for responding so quickly, wow.  To answer your question, no, the ol' iPad 2 is the only device (iOS or otherwise) that even has the Message+ app installed.  I own a seldom-used Nexus 7 tablet that used to have the Android version of the app installed/connected, but that device was disconnected and the app uninstalled over two months ago.  So, only one iOS device is using Message+ and there are 3 entries for it under "Manage Devices", 2 of which are clearly rogue entries.  Note that one of the rogue entries is what my iPad USED to be named (iPad Settings-General-About-Name).

0 Likes
milehiguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nichole, my apologies, I just re-read your question and have additional information.  Everything I mentioned in my previous reply from 15 minutes ago is accurate, but ... as far as multiple Apple devices signed on using the same Apple ID ... yes, my wife and I use the same Apple ID on different devices.  I use an iPad 2 (Wi-Fi only) and she uses an iPhone 5s.  Since I'm the only one who needs/uses the Message+ app, it is only installed on the iPad.  On the iPad, it is associated (connected to) the cell # of my ancient flip-phone (no laughing allowed), which I seldom use.  Now you can see why I love using Message+ for texting.   Anyway, hopefully that helps get us closer to solving the rogues entries under "Manage Devices".

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

milehiguy,

I certainly want to make sure you are well situated with this. Just to clarify with your device under manage devices you are seeing that where specifically? Has this also interfered with you getting any of your messages from being deliverd or also sent to you?

ShirazP_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
milehiguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Welcome to the conversation Shiraz ... in the Messages+ app, I'm seeing the duplicate device entries (for the same iPad) directly under settings-Manage Devices ... all three entries are listed as soon as I tap "Manage Devices", as shown in my original post.  There are no real problems receiving/sending messages.  I DO seem to get multiple notifications (on iPad lock screen) whenever I receive a message, but when I open the Message+ app, only one occurence of the incoming message is shown, so no huge problem.

Note that I am troubleshooting a separate issue with JenniferH_VZW (and the app developers) regarding a Error box that pops up immediately after I launch the app.  I believe the (relatively harmless) Error box problem is unrelated to the problem we're discussing in this thread.  The Error box, which can be dismissed, concerns the fact that the app may be attempting to enable voice-calling on my tablet when, in fact, the connected flip-phone is not an "Advanced Calling" featured phone.  Contact Jennifer for more info if necessary.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

milehiguy,

Thanks for having me. Hmm, now with what you explained the best way is to remove the profiles and then uninstall the app and reinstall it that way you only have one of each instead of multiples. ONce that is done please keep us posted and let us know.

ShirazP_VZW

0 Likes
milehiguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Shiraz, I have done what you asked and as I feared (and anticipated, quite frankly), I now have FOUR entries listed under "Manage Devices", not THREE as before.  So each time I remove (Disconnect) all of them, uninstall the app, reinstall the app, and setup again on the iPad with my cell number, another rogue entry is created.  100% repeatable.  All of these rogue entries MUST be associated with my specific cell number, which I would think could be "cleared out" by someone at Verizon Wireless.

Anyway, I'm beginning to believe that this will never be resolved.  Might very well be related to the other issue that I've been discussing with JenniferH_VZW for quite awhile (ref. my previous reply).  I believe that BOTH problems began to appear at the same time, when "tablet calling" (which my old flip-phone doesn't support) was introduced in version 2.0.4.  You might consider comparing notes with Jennifer.  Perhaps the two issues ARE related.  Being made aware of both might prove valuable for the app developers.

0 Likes