Email to Text (vtext.com) Not Working
PghExpat
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had automatic email to text messages sent to my iPhone for many years now with nary an issue.  Last week I stopped receiving all automatic messages to my vtext.com address.  I've tried to send a sample email to text message from my Gmail account to my iPhone and the message is not received.  The root cause appears to be on Verizon's end.

Re: Email to Text (vtext.com) Not Working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PghExpat, we want to make sure you are able to continue to receive emails to texts. Let's review. Can you please confirm that your mobile device has the latest Software Update? Also, which text message application are you using on your device? 

-Sylvia

0 Likes
timmyp4444
Enthusiast - Level 1

Spent several hours with Verizon tech support for delayed and undelivered email to texts utilizing @VTEXT.com. Finally was told that the service has been sunsetted and that there is a new service that can be paid for called E-Mag (enterprise messaging access gateway) that will need to be utilized in place of the former @VTEXT.com service. Doesn't sound like the former @VTEXT.com service will be fixed.

REVIEWBOY1928

PghExpat, thank you for posting your experience with this feature!

I don't doubt what you have reported about your experience or what you related that Verizon tech support told you, but I thought I would report my experience.

I have noticed that email-to-text (using {phone #}@vtext.com) has seemingly been working less well than it has in the past.

Today, after reading your post, I did some testing (from gmail) and found that, for me, the feature still works much of the time, although there is a lag of 5-15+ minutes, and sometimes the texts never arrive.

The feature used to respond much more promptly (that is, maybe a year ago).

I did a handful of testing using yahoo mail, and several of the texts arrived within a couple of seconds, but others are either taking a very long time or will never arrive (I've given up waiting).

So, the reality may be a bit more nuanced than Verizon tech support has told us.  Perhaps the feature is still working, although Verizon has given up on making it work well (for example, failing to add gateway servers as demand increased), and a way of discouraging tech support for this feature is telling users that the feature has been discontinued.

By the way, to my knowledge, I do not have the E-Mag service.  At least, I never requested it and I am not paying for it.

0 Likes
REVIEWBOY1928

....and a couple of my gmail vtext.com txts arrived 5 1/2 hrs after I sent them!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, if you need any assistance please send us a Private Note.

*Carla

0 Likes
rollson8
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm experiencing the same thing.

After some tracing some emails I found out (at least in my case) that one of their filter servers was returning about 4 of 5 emails.  So it does not seem like the service is discontinued; it seems their filter/spam servers are returning some emails but not others.  I use this for some IOT devices and it would be unfortunate if we lose this feature.

I may switch to another carrier that still supports email to SMS

0 Likes
WALLRATS

I have been having the same issue for months. I tried it again tonight after finding this post and it seems to be working again.  Hope this helps. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello. Thank you for reaching Verizon. I'm happy to assist you today. What can I do for you?

>Alejandro

0 Likes
timeless11

So, the vtext.com was working with my IoT devices a few weeks ago, but has stopped. Is this service done, or not? Is there any other low volume SMS service available from Verizon? I'm not a corporation with hundreds of subscribers. I just want to send occasional SMS notifications to a few personal phone numbers at a rate probably less that 5 or 10 texts per month.

0 Likes