Email to text delay
spidy2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am using @VTEXT.com to send text messages to my Verizon prepaid wireless phone number using e-mail.

However, there is often a long delay between sending the email and my receiving the text message. Sometimes it seems to be maybe half an hour, other times several hours.

I am sending the email to [email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service] (replacing that number with my real number) from a Gmail email account. I have no problems with delays sending or receiving email with my Gmail account.

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Re: Email to text delay
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, spidy2. We know how useful VText.com can be. We would be happy to help. When sending a VText through a Gmail account, the message may be delayed or blocked due the high volumes of malicious messages originating from the Gmail server. If you find the delay to be troublesome, we may recommend using another email account besides one from Gmail. 

CassieG_VZW

0 Likes
Leoop

I have recently seen this same problem with text messages arriving hour to days after they were originally sent to gmail.  In reviewing the gmail account's SENT folder it typically shows the email being sent to pixvzw.com (MMS in this case) within a minute of it being created.  This makes it seem that the delay is in the SMS/MMS Gateway.  Is there SPAM control being done within the gateway?  This recent event had a few hundred emails being sent to the gateway ... could this have triggered some "throttling" function that resulted in the long delays that we saw?

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@Leoop wrote:

I have recently seen this same problem with text messages arriving hour to days after they were originally sent to gmail.  In reviewing the gmail account's SENT folder it typically shows the email being sent to pixvzw.com (MMS in this case) within a minute of it being created.  This makes it seem that the delay is in the SMS/MMS Gateway.  Is there SPAM control being done within the gateway?  This recent event had a few hundred emails being sent to the gateway ... could this have triggered some "throttling" function that resulted in the long delays that we saw?

There have been other threads discussing this.  You might search/look at those other threads.  

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
rollson8
Enthusiast - Level 2

How about adding a "trusted email" list so we can avoid this issue when we are sending from legitimate gmail address lists?  This delay also happens when I send emails from my own domain.

0 Likes
0819RN
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same exact problem! I tried sending the same email from work to other co-workers who have AT&T and T-Mobile and their e-mail to SMS worked perfect. It's as though Verizon blocks most e-mail to SMS messages.

They need to have an option where you can whitelist and blacklist addresses on your own. Now I might have to switch carriers because my job requires we get these e-mails as a text and the other people I work with might have to switch now too. We get reimbursed by our company for our phones and they are advising us to call Verizon which I did and it got me nowhere!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, We are concerned you are not getting the emails as needed for work and would not want you to switch. Please verify the email address is inputted correct, your #@Vtext

Option 2: Use @VTEXT.com to send texts through email

Here’s another way to send a text message from a computer to a fellow Verizon Wireless customer:

1. Compose a new email and use the recipient’s mobile phone number as the email address, with the addition of “@vtext.com” at the end.
  2. For example, if the phone number is 555-123-4567, type “5551234567@vtext.com.”
  3. Make sure you keep your message under 140 characters. (Remove your email signature before sending, if you use one.)
  4. Once you’re finished, hit send. 

It’s that simple. And the recipient can reply directly to your email. You can see the details here https://www.verizon.com/about/news/vzw/2013/06/computer-to-phone-text-messaging and you can also use the Message+ application to always get the missing messages as web text. 

https://www.verizon.com/solutions-and-services/apps/verizon-messages/

- Jose

0 Likes