Galaxy S4 "unfortunately, messaging stopped working"
jerryedmonds

About a week ago, I started getting "Unfortunately, Messaging not working" error message. I cannot send or receive messages, or even open the app. When I attempt to open it, I get the "Messaging" banner at the top of the screen, which displays for 15 seconds, then the screen goes blank for about five seconds, then it goes back to home and I get the error message listed above.

I also have other native apps that I get this error message on intermittently. Upgraded about three weeks ago to 5.0.1 version.

Have cleared Messaging app cache & data, disabled app, rebooted and reenabled app. No go. Have cleared device cache. No go. Have tried in safe mode. No go. Have pulled battery & SIM card, waited five minutes, reinstalled & restarted. No go.

I need Messaging, as this is the primary way I communicate with family & long term friends. Please help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S4 "unfortunately, messaging stopped working"
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
jerryedmonds, this would definitely have me frustrated as well. Messaging is an integral part of our daily communication nowadays. Let's do all we can to help.

That is all great troubleshooting you have done thus far. My recommendation is to back up your files just in case, and to utilize the Samsung Software Repair Assistant.

http://vz.to/1Agzurw

This can help repair any errors with the previous install, as these issues are not normal. Keep us posted!

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
jerryedmonds

Tried running Software Repair Assistant. It would not establish a stable connection. Tried all USB ports on my laptop, which operate fine with anything else that I plug into them. No go. Opened support chat, and the person assisting me said that USB connection stability is a known issue.

Next idea?

0 Likes
jerryedmonds

Tried running Repair Assistant again this morning. It hung up at status "Backing Up-4%" for over a half hour. Uninstalled and reinstalled it on my laptop. No go, hung up at the same place again. And yes, I am using the USB cable that came with the phone.

Something obviously is broken with either Repair Assistant, or my Repair Assistant.

I need more options please.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
jerryedmonds,

We want this working for you! Let's try this. Please back up your device and perform a Factory Data Reset http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-77507/ Please be sure that while performing this, to double check that the option Back up my data is not checked. You will see this options when under the Backup and reset menu.

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes