How do I clear text message counter after all have been read?
LadyoftheLake1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The counter on my husband's text message icon shows a number 1 even though he has no unread messages. How do I clear it for him? He's got a Kyocera Duraforce Pro and is using the Verizon Messages app

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I clear text message counter after all have been read?
LadyoftheLake1
Enthusiast - Level 2

RussellM_VZW,

I switched his messaging app and the counter was still showing 1 unread message but this time one of the actual conversations/contacts was showing as unread. It turns out that this conversation had a link to a YouTube video that needed to be reopened. That cleared the counter on both messaging apps. I reset the Message+ app as the default and the problem has been resolved.

FYI: I had gone through and reopened every text as suggested in one of your the previous posts but I'm not sure if I fully opened up any links which is probably why the counter didn't clear. It was interesting that the stock messaging app showed an unopened text but the Message+ showed it as read.

Thank you for your help. My husband's problem is resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LadyoftheLake1, I am certain that seeing that number would absolutely be misleading. We do not want him thinking that he has missed something. This can happen when someone sends more than one message and you review the thread just the one time. The counter still sees that there was another message received, even though you have already seen the message thread. The best way to clear this is to click his message threads so this resets. If this offers no success, please power the phone completely off and back on again. Please let us know if you then see a change.

LorenB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LadyoftheLake1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I reopened every message thread which did not work. I completely powered off the phone and waited 5 minutes before turning it back on but that didn't work either.

Do you have any other ideas? I did send a bug report in this morning as well.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LadyoftheLake1 , 

Thank you for going through that important step. While that bug report defintley would be one of the better steps to take on this unique issue, let's check onre more thing. Following the steps on this link, try temporarily changing the default texting app to something other than Verizon Message: http://vz.to/2EYHBgg . If there is no "unread" indicator here, then move back to the Verizon Messages app and see if that counter still appears. Please keep us posted.

RussellM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LadyoftheLake1
Enthusiast - Level 2

RussellM_VZW,

I switched his messaging app and the counter was still showing 1 unread message but this time one of the actual conversations/contacts was showing as unread. It turns out that this conversation had a link to a YouTube video that needed to be reopened. That cleared the counter on both messaging apps. I reset the Message+ app as the default and the problem has been resolved.

FYI: I had gone through and reopened every text as suggested in one of your the previous posts but I'm not sure if I fully opened up any links which is probably why the counter didn't clear. It was interesting that the stock messaging app showed an unopened text but the Message+ showed it as read.

Thank you for your help. My husband's problem is resolved.

0 Likes