I cannot downgrade till my upgrade comes due?
lockedin

I recently learned that my job (gov. contractor) will be ending in april, so I contacted the local Vstore to downgrade to a standard basic phone. The store manager told me that since I upgraded 5 months ago, I cannot downgrade till may of this year. He also expained that even if I was to purchase a basic phone, the internet charges would still be in effect untill the upgrade time rolled back around. How in the world can a company do this? Guess I should have read all the small text in the contract.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I cannot downgrade till my upgrade comes due?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have an old basic phone, you can switch to it at anytime through your MyVerizon account. You will need remove your data plan. If you had the unlimited data plan, you will not be able to get it back later.

However you can't purchase a new basic phone at the upgrade price since you are not eligible for an upgrade.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You can downgrade to a dumb phone and take off the data plan.  People do it all the time.  From the looks of it you bought a device from a 3rd party retailer 5 months ago, and those people have their own terms and the store manager was letting you know based on where you bought the device from policy.

0 Likes
Grothka
Contributor - Level 3

Lockedin, it's not that you can't change your phone to a basic phone, you can... at any point. Also, the store manager was wrong, if you put on a basic phone it would allow you to drop the data package (in fact, I think it makes you drop the data package). The problem with the situation is that you are able to get the price of a phone discounted if you sign a contract, that's what the upgrade is. So if you want to get a discount on the phone when you're only 5 months into contract it's just not going to happen. One option is to look into selling or trading your phone somewhere and then using the proceeds from that to help buy a full retail price phone, or you can buy a used phone from either VZW or ebay (or anything else like that).

lockedin

I'm currently looking for an old "unlocked" razor I had somewhere a loonnnngggg time ago. I don't think the 4g sim will work with it tho. I'll probably have to bite the cost for a new chip, but still its a big pain to have to get rid of the net....gotta do it even I have to dump my contract, which will cost a bundle since I just re-newed only 5 months ago. Think the 4g chip will work in a newer "dumb" phone?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Only the 4G LTE devices use SIM cards to connect to the Verizon Wireless network.

You need a Verizon Wireless branded CDMA phone.

If your "unlocked" Razr needed a SIM card, it is a GSM phone and will not work on the Verizon Wireless network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.