Instant messaging
KathyL48

Does anyone know if Verizon charges to have an instant messaging program open all of the time on a Droid phone and to receive and send messages through the program via the phone, such as in Yahoo IM?  ?

Thanks!

Kathy

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Instant messaging
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

I don't have a Droid, but my IM's are considered texts.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

KathyL48 wrote:

Does anyone know if Verizon charges to have an instant messaging program open all of the time on a Droid phone and to receive and send messages through the program via the phone, such as in Yahoo IM?  ?

Thanks!

Kathy

It depends on what you mean by "charges".

If you have an instant messaging app which uses data and you go over your data allowance, then you will be "charged" for the additional data.

If you have an instant messaging app which uses SMS and you go over your SMS allowance, then you will be "charged" for the additional texts.

Some IM apps use a data connection, and I am sure that some use SMS. I can't tell from the description on the Android Market which one Yahoo IM uses. Others, such as eBuddy, TiKl and Skype use a data connection, whether it is cellular or wifi.

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello happy community members,

As rschnoor stated, there are some instant messaging service that uses SMS to deliver the message and some instant messages travel over the data network to deliver the message. In either case, there is NOT a charge for being logged into an instant messaging service and sitting idle. Here are some examples of instant messaging service that uses SMS to transmit messages to the recipient.

• AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) - SMS usage
  • Yahoo! Messenger - SMS usage
  • Windows Live Messenger - SMS usage

Please note that 3rd party Mobile IM applications, i.e., NOT the Verizon Wireless Mobile IM application, are billed for incoming and outgoing messages as MB data transport, NOT as SMS.  Some examples of 3rd party instant messaging apps that you data to transmit are noted below:

• Kakao Talk - data usage
  • Live Profile - data usage
  • Kik Messenger - data usage

Hopefully this posting clears up some misunderstanding about instant messaging. As always, we welcome all questions as we are here to assist in any way we can.

Thank you...

0 Likes
Thorxes
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've spoken to 2 verizon store reps, 1 verizon tech support rep, and confirmed at various places online that:

• AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) - Data usage
  • Yahoo! Messenger - Data usage
  • Windows Live Messenger - Data usage

The above apps are the ones that come standard with the phone under the "IM" app.

This was essentially the reason that I got a smartphone.The verizon sales rep told me  I could spend an extra $10 to get unlimited texting, or just pay an extra $20 on top of that to get a smart phone and then use those 3 IM apps so that I wouldn't go over my texting anymore.  As long as I stayed under my old text plans limit, I'd essentially be getting a data plan for $20 intead of $30.

The other apps mentioned are unknown to me. The store reps and the tech rep all said that when it comes to third party IM apps....some use texts, some data, some even allow you to choose. But that to be safe, I should try and stick with the 3 IM apps on the phone to use only data.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes