Is it possible to use Verizon Messages on a non-Verizon device?
rex_bain
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a new work phone, the Google Nexus 6P using the Project Fi service. I was hoping to use the Verizon Message+ app on it just like I do on my Verizon LG G3 and my Android tablet.  When I install the app, it defaults to the new device's phone number.  It does not allow me to sign-in to my Verizon account.  It will allow me to add additional numbers in my profile, but that does not give it access to texts on my Verizon account.

I've been googling this for hours and have yet to find if there is a solution.  It looks like a similar question was asked.  The last response was July 2015, but the question was never answered.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make it work?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Anyway to use Messages app on non-Verizon phone?
Snn5
Legend

Verizon Messages will work on the Nexus, but you won't be able to use it like a Verizon customer number can use it.  You cannot integrate it into messages with your Verizon number.  This also means that you will not receive a confirmation code.  Integrated Messages, sharing between your Verizon phone number and other devices only works on devices that are non-smartphones.  Only 1 verizon phone can be used with Integrated Messages.  However, again, you CAN use the VM+ app to send and receive messages, you just can't sync them with other phone numbers.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to make sure that your able to use the full benefits of the services we have to offer, rex.bain. There should’t be any kind of issues with using the Verizon Messages application on your Android device. As long as the device is running OS verison 4.2 and newer. Once you download the application from the Google Play store, tap to open the application. It will ask for your mobile number, enter in the mobile number for which ever number you want the text messages for. This will then send a text message to your Verizon Wireless cell phone with a security code, enter that code into the Message application, tap done. This should then start loading your messages from the Verizon mobile number.
KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rex_bain
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kevin,

First, thanks for the response.  What you described is what I originally thought would happen.  Unfortunately, it does not.

When I open the app after installing, the app opens and I get the message asking if I want to change my SMS app.

ruVoFPf8TX7u8pJf8

When I accept that change, it lets me access the getting started page.

ZePSbCPaX9SHBnAe6

It never gives me an option to enter a phone number, it just takes me directly to the conversations screen.

BNPdJE3TjeLwvJLh9

When I access the profile/settings from this point, it shows the app installed using the phone number of the device it installed too.  It does not give anyway of associating the app to my Verizon number.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled the app multiple times, but nothing changes.

I am running Android 6.0.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Verizon Messages will work on the Nexus, but you won't be able to use it like a Verizon customer number can use it.  You cannot integrate it into messages with your Verizon number.  This also means that you will not receive a confirmation code.  Integrated Messages, sharing between your Verizon phone number and other devices only works on devices that are non-smartphones.  Only 1 verizon phone can be used with Integrated Messages.  However, again, you CAN use the VM+ app to send and receive messages, you just can't sync them with other phone numbers.

0 Likes
rex_bain
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Snn5.  That has been my experience so far and I was hoping I was wrong!  Smiley Sad

Snn5
Legend

I currently am unaware of any service that forwards messages from one phone number to another automatically.

0 Likes
taphillips1

How do i get the code messenger does not work

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us here for assistance, this Application is avalilble to Verizon Wireless customers. CecileC_VZW

0 Likes