Is there a way to send and receive text messages without having data or wifi on?
S1199

Recently message+ wouldn't work without an Internet connection. I don't understand how having an Internet connection is part of unlimited texting unless I get unlimited data. I was wondering if there was an app that would still allow me to get unlimited texting without data? Even if the texts using data weren't counted against my data, the other apps on my phone will still use the data when I turn on my 4g so that seems to be an extra cost associated with the unlimited texts.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is there a way to send and receive text messages without having data or wifi on?
Weth
Legend

What phone are you using?

In general on Verizon:

plain text messages to a single person can be sent without data on. This is SMS.

However, if there is more than one recipient, has any special characters, international characters, emoji's, images, or video it must be sent over MMS. This requires data to be turned on, even though the data used doesn't count against you.

0 Likes
Re: Is there a way to send and receive text messages without having data or wifi on?
S1199

I have a Samsung s5, my wife has the Samsung s6 or 7 edge. I believe it had more to do with message+ because until the update a couple weeks ago when it went through an update, we used message+ with no reason to have amy interent connection.

0 Likes
katrinan_vzw
Verizon Employee

0 Likes
KISSATEK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Leaves me to wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the recent additions to the app and if the texting portion runs or is capable of running  independent of yelp, glimpse, yahoo and even kanvas.

0 Likes