LG Cosmos 2 Weather Display
joey12volt

My girlfriend just got the LG Cosmos 2 .. Every morning the weather pops up.  How can I disable this?  She doesn't have a data plan.  Is she be charged?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG Cosmos 2 Weather Display
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi joey12volt! I'm here to help with this weather update concern. I need to know more about it. Would you describe this as a incoming message or as an alert that merely appears on the display of the phone?

0 Likes
rrotenone
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same 'issue' in that I have a brand new Cosmos LG 2 phone, and to my knowledge have never activated or configured a 'daily weather' app in the phone.  In fact, I have tried to avoid even *connecting* to the apps or mobile web portion of the phone becuase I don't have a data plan on the phone...I only want it to make phone calls.

So every morning it pops up the daily weather in a graphical image at the bottom of the screen.  I can dismiss it, but it doesn't look like a text...it looks like an app or an 'alert'. 

If it is a Verizon freebie, I still would like to be able to disable it.  If it is sucking up even a teensy bit of data (for which I get an overage, no matter how small) I *definitely* would like to know how to disable it.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
rrotenone
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think I found the answer to the annoying popups...I just tried the latest solution documented in the thread (linky pasted below) but it says it can take up to 24 hours to take effect.  We shall see...the thread is interesting reading for the history of the issue as it developed, and also the seeming interest in Verizon support to find an answer:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Wireless-Feature-Questions-Other/LG-Cosmos-Touch-Help-Remove-Daily-Scoop...

For those who just want the proposed solution here it is:

------------------------------------------------------

<quoted from other thread, from Verizon Wireless employee 'ChristinaB_VZW'> 

Re: LG Cosmos Touch - Help Remove Daily Scoop, Please!!

08-06-2011 06:30 PM

Hi White1200c,

I can assist you with the Daily Scoop application. I understand your frustration. Please note that the Daily Scoop is a pre-loaded application, so it cannot be removed. However, if you follow the steps I have outlined below, you will no longer see the phone lighting up and using battery life. 

• Launch Daily Scoop
• Select ‘Menu->Options->Verizon Msgs’
• Choose ‘Off’ and ‘Save’.

• Repeat the same procedure for ‘Menu->Options->Bonus Msgs’

I hope this information is helpful for you and your device. Have a good day!

ChristinaB_VZW
Follow Us On Twitter @VZWSupport
---------------------------------------------------

NOTE:  I also did this, which I think helps with other preinstalled apps and other unwanted spam/gunk:  Go to 'Messaging", scroll down to "Settings", then scroll to "Multimedia Auto Receive" & be sure it is set to 'off'.   I have not yet disabled my data altogether on the phone, nor have I tried the earlier solution referenced in the thread (where they talk about emailing daily scoop support) because I *think* that just disabling the spam msgs as described above should do the trick.  We'll see...next, I'll look into the 'Bing' app that is also preinstalled...I see some reports of it also going rogue and spamming the phone from time-to-time although I haven't seen any Bing popups on my phone yet.

KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

joey12volt, I see the community have provided some excellent information and links to assist you. I wanted to also provide you with some steps to delete some of your text alerts. In step #7,  you should be able to choose weather for deletion. Let us know if you were able to remove or edit the weather alerts from the device.

Deleting TXT Alert

1. From the main screen, press the center of the 5-way navigation pad.
  2. Select Get It Now.
  3. Select Get News & Info then press the center of the 5-way navigation pad.
  4. From the VZW Today home page, select More then press the center of the 5-way navigation pad.
  5. Select TXT Alerts then press the center of the 5-way navigation pad.
  6. Select My Alerts then press the center of the 5-way navigation pad.
  7. Select a category (e.g. News, Finance, Sports, etc.) then press the center of the 5-way navigation pad.
  8. Select the desired alert then press the center of the 5-way navigation pad.
  9. Select Delete then press the center of the 5-way navigation pad.
  10. Select Yes, delete alert then press the center of the 5-way navigation pad.
  11. Repeat as desired for more alerts or press the End key.

0 Likes
mfields4

I pushed the button in the middle but there was no "Get It Now" all there was was the icons for media center, settings etc. So where do I go? I am trying to delete a weather alert

0 Likes
chris74
Enthusiast - Level 1

As Joey12volt pointed out these ads are annoying. I have tried these steps but theykeep coming back. I even tried deleting the app but found out you can't if it was preloaded.

I really wish the phone companies would preload this junk. It sometimes feels as if they are trying to push certain things on the consumer which in reality we really dont care about in the first place. If i want an app or a specific widget I should have that choice and not have someone make my choices for me.

I also think that the phone companies should state that the dies come with preloaded apps and ways to delete the. No where on the box or in the book did it say anything about preloaded apps. The sales rep at the store had no knowledge of it as well. If i knew I would not have purchased these particular phones (LG cosmos 2)

Dalyscoop is annoying, the weather is always wroong, I cant stand Bing  and yet here they are being pushed on me. Its just not right. I will try the above mentioned solutions again and see.

Buyer beware on your phones since popups and ads are becomeing more of a pain.

theleakypen
Enthusiast - Level 1

Agreed. I tried the solutions above. Hope they work.

0 Likes
Sean22222222

kinqua - as a verizon support person, you should be giving accurate instructions.  Pick up a Cosmos 2 and try what you are telling us and you will see there is no "Get it now"

0 Likes
OhHaiJoey
Enthusiast - Level 1

SOLUTION:

1: Press OK

2: Go to Messaging and press OK

3: Press the button for Settings

4: Go to the choice that says "11. Emergency Alert" and press OK.

5: Go to the choice that says "Receive Alerts" and press OK

6: Unmark all of the choices.

7: Press the button for Done.

Hope this helped! Smiley Happy