Long texts being split up
SammaJamma

I have just recently started having this problem. If anyone sends me a long text message it will get split up into many different messages and sent to my phone. The messages have these strange question marks at the places where the message is split. It is awful annoying. Is there something wrong? My boyfriend has been using an older phone lately because his broke so that could be the reason. But, he has been using it for longer than I've been receiving these weird messages. Help?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Long texts being split up
Zehan
Contributor - Level 2
Does this happen only when he texts you, or for anyone?
0 Likes
SammaJamma

I thought it was only him but I sent a long text to myself last night to see if it was just his phone and it did the same thing.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Different networks, and different phones, handle "long" texts in a variety of ways.  First of all, SMS, text messaging, was never intended for "long" messages, by definition it is "SHORT messaging services".  If used as intended,  for short message less than 160 characters, this problem does not happen.  Write an email if you have that much to say!!  Or just make a phone call.

Quoting from Verizon's texting guide:

Non-EMS capable handsets can receive Enhanced TXT Messages. Enhanced TXT Messaging features like international characters and text formatting will not be displayed; Inserted media objects will be deleted; Extended length messages will be delivered as multiple segments each up to 160 characters in length. The non-EMS subscriber receiving multiple message segments will be billed for receiving a single message according to the selected pricing plan. The EMS handset sending the message will be billed for sending a single message as well.

Note: Some non-EMS handsets will not properly convert an EMS message to SMS. The message received by the non-EMS handset will be unreadable. The sender and recipient will be charged for unreadable messages.

HTH,

0 Likes