Message+ 2.4.7 macOS auto-start... STOP!
onlyleura
Enthusiast - Level 2

I need to find out how to prevent the Message+ app from unconditionally adding itself to the Login Items for my user account every time I run it. I remove the app from my Login Items, and it gets added right back in when I run the app again. When I boot up, Message+ runs, and I don't want that. It's extremely bad design for an app to add itself to the Login Items list without user permission, and to not provide a preference setting in the app to turn that "feature" off. Anyone got a way around this???

Labels (1)
Re: Message+ 2.4.7 macOS auto-start... STOP!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

onlyleura,

I'm sorry to learn that your Message+ app is adding itself to your login items. I can definitely help with making sure we can get around this. I will need to gather some clarification about what's happening so I can better assist you. By saying your login items, can you explain what you mean by this?

JuanD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
onlyleura
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am referring to the Message+ application for macOS. I use the Message+ app, available from the Apple App Store, on my iMac desktop computer. 'Login Items' is a feature of user accounts in the macOS operating system. In the macOS System Preferences, under the category Users & Groups, there is a 'Login Items' tab, which permits the owner or administrator of that user account to add or remove applications or other processes to a list a items that will start up automatically whenever the machine is started up. If Message+ is not in that list, it does not automatically run when the iMac and started, and it will remain in that state as long as I don't manually run Message+. The second I run Message+ to check messages on my iMac, it adds itself to the Login Items list, without asking me for permission to do that, and without giving me the option to opt out of that default behavior. After running the app, the next time I shut down and restart the iMac, the Message+ app automatically runs and pops up on my screen. I have to go into my Login Items list to manually remove it from there, so that it doesn't start up automatically again. I want a way to PREVENT the app from adding itself to my Login Items.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the insight, that is extremely helpful, Onlyleura. How long has this been going on for or rather, has this been happening since first installing the Message+ application? Has the application been uninstalled and reinstalled?

ChrisM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
onlyleura
Enthusiast - Level 2

It started recently. Probably after the last update to the Message+ app. I just uninstalled it and re-installed it fresh from the Apple App Store, and the same behavior is exhibited. It still adds itself to the Login Items. This needs to be fixed.

onlyleura
Enthusiast - Level 2

It started recently. Probably after the last update to the Message+ app. I just uninstalled it and re-installed it fresh from the Apple App Store, and the same behavior is exhibited. It still adds itself to the Login Items. This needs to be fixed.

Aion_Heals
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am experiencing the same issue. Someone at Verizon should have already tested this on the Mac and should be familiar with what is happening. If they haven't, I would suggest someone do so immediately. I agree with onlyleura​. This is unacceptable behavior for an app on Mac, or any platform, for that matter. There should always be a switch in 'preferences' to disable auto start on boot. Verizon, we need a solution quickly!

JefferoNW
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too am crazy on fire over this - it is uber impolite to force your app into the AutoLaunch on startup every time you start the app - Totally rude.  Hoping for an update soon to stop this behavior or I am uninstalling.

MATROCK0
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have this issue and agree that this is incredibly poor practice in the design-end of this product.

KB204
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had the same issue ever since I switch to android 2 years ago. This has been a problem for some time.  I imagine Verizon is  aware of the issue by now and they don't care to fix it.  Their programmer could spend very little time fixing it.   This is one of the primary reasons I will be switching back to iPhone so that it will work with messages on mac OS.

Verizon messages has been an unpleasant user experience for me!!!!!!!